Stalking AND F Class rifle

User00003

Here's one for you:

Say you want to compete in 1000 yard F-Class, and use that rifle for hill stalking as well, how would you put it together to not only be functional, but look decent for stalking too. Components, actions, etc. etc.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

I'd probably just buy a Sako TRG21 but, more importantly, who is going to carry it! JC

Stalking / F-Class rifle

Calibre - 6.5x284 - dual purpose calibre, that at long range (ie 800 yrds plus) outperforms .308
Action - BAT Long action repeater format with Pictinny rail - superb action with added stiffness of pictinny
Stock - McMillan Mchale - plain and simple
Barrel - Kreiger / Bartlein in 6 or 7 profile (flute for weight saving - stalking) 26-28"
Magazine would be blind - to try and save weight and increase stock stiffness slightly.
Scope - a March variable - superb tracking and light.
Rings - Talley or Third Eye Tactical
Moderator ?? probably would use a muzzle brake instead due to barrel length otherwise Third Eye Tactical or one of Baldie's!

Would not like to carry it all day on the hill, but you are asking for a tall order if you want to be competitive @1000

Regards

HL

I have a dvd here extreme deer hunting? bought off ebay its in the highlands in very heavy snow and one of the lads is using what looks like a Accuracy International, heavy going.

I compete in the UK F Class League and stalk "a bit";)

If you want a dual purpose rifle, you will not be looking at Open class, rather FTR, limited to 308 or 223 calibre.

I say this because Open class is an arms race, high end kit, 7mm magnums or 284 and very, very close tolerances.....not ideal for dragging to the forest or hill.

Forget the 6.5 calibres - they just cannot hold it against the 7mm's in competition.

As you want a deer legal rifle you now limit the option to 308.

Most competative 308 F Class shooters have single shot actions, full F Class style stocks and custom or dedicated F Class bipods.

You could use a sporter style stock or tactical with the latter type bipod and appropriate fitment.

If you use a factory gun, you wont be competative - unless of course you can read the wind to a mph at 1000, 1100 and 1200 yds and are a gifted shot. (I suppose the latter applies to using 308 anyway)

Sorry, thats just how it is.

You could start with a factory rifle, but the rifle would be the limiting factor to success.

For what its worth, you could use a Barnard SM (repeater), or BAT, or and other custom action, a match grade barrel and A5 stock and you'd be on the way.

However, I think its a big ask especially when you consider you want to be using at least 155, 175 or 200 grainers which means a long barrel (for velocity) and appropriate twist rate to get the bullets on target at range.

My own opinion is two rifles, one for each discipline and keep em separate.

Just my 2p

Oh, BTW

My F Class rifle is a 7mm/270 WSM, the stalking guns are 25-06, 6.5x284 and 308 respectively.

Last edited:
It is,

Ok, try this:

Surgeon, WSM repeater action, Jewel trigger, match barrel, AICS.

Calibre - 7mm WSM, .312"nk, reamer throated to feed from AI mags with 180 bergers at 2.900" internal (with spacer removed)

This will enable a 180 to be launched at 3000 fps....

You could do well with that, although barrel life is limited to one a year:D

I screwed one together a couple of years ago for a mate of mine, he is doing pretty well with it currently and it does as a "static" stalker.... although its now on barrel #2

I emphasise STATIC stalker!!

Last edited:
I have used my AI AE on shots where i need accuracy as i don't want them to leave the permision [ next to a nature reserve]
Ideal for prone and over 200m BUT way to heavy for a full day or much of a walk .

Made a tactical stock for a similar purpose recently, wanted to save as much weight as possible.
Made of 100% carbon fiber, stock, cheek piece and buttpad together weighed around 800grams.
Might be better to add weight to the barrel than the stock.
edi
DSCN4599.jpg

Edi, that stock looks just the ticket.

Splash, disagree re the weight of AE, I used to have a AW for just the same purpose and I stalked with it...

I now have a Blaser TAc 2 in 308 for factory / tactical comps and stalking when I need multiple shots (such as hinds), the weight would be a factor had I not access to quad / decent kitted out 4wd for dedicated extraction:cool:

Nice stock mate!

ok, so what if we threw a spanner in the works and made a custom rifle for both F/TR Class and Stalking, but with the ability to change barrels from 30" to say 20"....

Easy

any riflesmith could do this, providing the action used had an integral or pinned recoil lug - so the end user didnt have to worry about it.

However, you would have to remember to recheck zero on each change of barrel (or at least remember scope settings) - if you used one scope.

I kind of went down this road: I had a 6mm Archer palma contour barrel off another rifle that I sold, threaded onto a Lawton action and McMillan A5 with adjustable cheekpiece and SYSS detachable mag bottom metal - the idea was that I could use it for target shooting (not F class) with irons / sling then put the scope + mod on for occasional stalking. I then decided that it was far too heavy for stalking, though I have shot 2 deer with it... So I ended up getting a super lightweight stock from Edi and the weight went down from 14 lbs to 11.5 lbs - still a tad long with the mod, but a lot more manageable.

Anyway, if you're thinking about an F-class rifle that turns into a stalking rifle, you may want to consider a lightweight stock too and a scope that's not too heavy (I have a Sightron 6-24x50 on mine which works very well).

Stock is only one part of weight saving,
we'd need more to test out those Lothar Walther aluminium barrels.
There would be another nice bit of weight saving.
If the mod attachement is sorted I think that'll be my next barrel.
Only one I know of was on Pete Lincolns hunting rifle in 260 rem which
seemed to shoot very well.
edi

Redmist

I don't dispute the AI range of rifles are good for stalking, and have used mine a few times and know if i take a shot with it i have meat in the freezer.

But i mainly shoot woodland muntjack/fallow and roe. The last fallow doe was 95lb larder dressed. I got her in my roe's sack just, got the sack on my back rolled onto my front and had to used a tree for support while i stood upright.
Then picked up my bino's sticks stalking bum bag and the light weight remington model seven i now use and began the half mile walk to the nearest fire road.
After what seamed like an hour i reached the road and phoned for pick up.

I now know my heart is not weak nor i am prone to a stroke as if i was i would have suffered both ! i could not have carried my AI as well .

Back