Bone saw and meat cleaver

david1976

Need to get myself a new bone saw and heavy cleaver for butchering my deer / lambs.

Saw is for legs / spine as well as breast bone so heavier duty one would be better.

Cleaver is similarly for leg bones and spine so again a bit of weight would be good.

Looking to spend max £40 per item.

Any suggestions?

Just get a decent saw mate and forget the cleaver!;)
Scobies do a great one here:
http://www.scobiesdirect.com/
Deer bones splinter badly if cleavered. The saw is so much better, safer and neater. My cleaver never gets used now. They also do some wicked poultry shears which make a neater job on the rib bones than the saw. They will do up to Roe size deer without too much bother.
MS:)

I'm curious what you guys use the heavy artillery for? :-|

I get by with just a small boning knife for disassembling an entire deer carcass!

Is it for doing chops etc?

Yes, im doing lamb for someone and they want lamb chops and barnsley chops, so I usually use a cleaver.

Yes the advantage with using the cleaver over the saw when creating venison chops is no bone dust to clear up.
Otherwise (like CSL) all i use is a boning knife, and sometimes a steak knife.
Scobies is the place to go as already stated.
Cheers
Richard

I didnt get a pm, John no.

In the end I have bought my saw, cleaver and a couple of other useful larder items from Samuel Staniforth Ltd the prices seem really good and delivery is next day. They were also very helpful on the telephone.

Last edited:
Saw and knives all arrived today, sharp as hell and all seem really good weight and quality.
I would recommend this company to any other people looking to buy something similar.

Back