Mange

Dorset

Here are some photos of a buck I shot this morning. He is the second from this area of the wood I have shot with mange this week. He had a heavy tick burden, had not cleaned off properley and was in poor condition but nothing like as poor as the one I had to shoot last week (whose head had lots of potential at 29cm tall). Both were shot within 20m of each other. I posted about the other buck in the diseases section but not many people go in there to look so I thought i'd put this one here. I shoot quite a few foxes at work but none have ever shown any mange, apparently there were a few with it 5 years ago, we are not near a town with a lot of foxes to provide a source so I am at a loss to explain why it has suddenly appeared. I haven't seen anything else with any signs so am hoping that is the last of it but we will have to wait and see.

DSCF1307.jpg

DSCF1311.jpg

DSCF1312.jpg

DSCF1313.jpg

Appart from the mange were there any other issues internally worm burden etc, mange is endemic only becoming a problem when the animal is under other stresses

Appart from the mange were there any other issues internally worm burden etc, mange is endemic only becoming a problem when the animal is under other stresses

No, not apart from the dark patches you can see on the lung, the inside of the ribcage was clean though. He had a high tick burden but I put that down to him being out of condition due to the mange. We have masses of ticks in our area, I've had over 80 this year. I am in the woods a lot (poults in) and all the other deer I see are in good health, , there was nothin unusual in the doe cull or the early bucks.

Shot a buck this week with mange, the first I have seen in 25yrs, spoke to some people in our area and no one had seen one before. We have the usual number of ticks and he didn,t have more than normal. Our foxes all seem clean.

I have since seen 2 does with it, all in one small patch of the wood, here's one:

PICT1354.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi,

there was a thread on here not long ago regarding mange type symptoms, it does seem to be sporadic and also seems that more deer have been effected by it.
i wonder if you guys that have seen deer with it shoot deer near areas that humans walk dogs....
there must be some thing all these grounds have in common. be it fox dog or badger related...

atb f.

I'd have been interested to see a skin scraping from the beast to see what sort of Mite was actually causing the mange. Anyway, hope that is the last of it you see mate.

Back