6.5x55 ammo...how much you paying?

groach1234

Right just started shooting the 6.5x55 and was wondering what sort of a price you are paying? i bought some Norma 156 grain vulkans at the cost of...£40 for 20 :eek: so i decided to have a look about and found an RFD near me stocking 156 grain alaska tips at £20.20 a box and as it seemed a bargain snapped them up. They had sako 156 grains in at £24 a box. I was wondering what you are paying for your 6.5x55 ammo? i do plan to start reloading as and when i have the cash for the set up and enough brass as well (i have seen 95 grain noslers that would be a hell of a round for foxing).

George

I use 139grain prvi partizan through mine and pay £11 a box. Like you, when I've got enough brass I'll start reloading my own.

Right just started shooting the 6.5x55 and was wondering what sort of a price you are paying? i bought some Norma 156 grain vulkans at the cost of...£40 for 20 :eek: so i decided to have a look about and found an RFD near me stocking 156 grain alaska tips at £20.20 a box and as it seemed a bargain snapped them up. They had sako 156 grains in at £24 a box. I was wondering what you are paying for your 6.5x55 ammo? i do plan to start reloading as and when i have the cash for the set up and enough brass as well (i have seen 95 grain noslers that would be a hell of a round for foxing).

George

Classic Lee Loader! $34 US complete in 6.5x55. Toss in a trimmer and a primer pocket cleaner and you're up to about $50 US. I know some here are probably rolling their eyes and saying "God! Here he goes again!" but this unit works. And dammed well I might add. For a new reloader it is the absolute easiest and cheapest way to produce quality ammunition from your once fired brass.~Muir

I know some here are probably rolling their eyes and saying "God! Here he goes again!" ~Muir

So let them carry on :lol:
I would not be without mine, I'm only loading for my .223 but it is producing cheap accurate ammo time after time.
Not sure how how many rounds people are using, but I get through 50 to 100 every week on rabbits and fox, loading takes me about 2 hours a week (not all in one go), including brass preparation.
I load in batches of 50 or 100, clean cases in an ultrasonic bath when I have a few minutes, same for re-sizing and priming.
When it's time to load a few more I just grab a box of clean sized and primed brass, out with the scales and away I go.

Neil. :)

I can get sub inch groups at 100yds so theyre accurate enough but I enjoy reloading :)

If i could source such a supply of cheap accurate rounds, i'd pack my reloading gear away and spend the extra couple of hours a week in the pub. What are they called, prvi partizan .........what?

Thats the full name. Henry Krank is the importer, they could tell you if there's a dealer local to you.

there is just some thing about that privi - partizan ammo i dont like !

ive never used it , dont plan too but at that kind of money i can see why people are flocking in there droves to use it ! if it works for you great , get fell in but ive always believed you get what you pay for and cheap usually means rubbish , or its going to go wrong in my opinion ,

ill stick to my 120gn barnes tipped tsx home loads at quid a round they serve me just nicely !

im now off to find the tin hat and await for the flack !!

cheers lee

When I could not get Federal Powershoks and had to buy RWS @ £1.80 a bang, I took up reloading. I do not regret the decision. I can now get the load of my choice all the time.

I am sure the deer would not notice the type of round used, and at the ranges I shoot deer, it would make no practical differce to the outcome of my stalking. But I like being able to shoot sub-MOA and to play around with bullet types, so I don't think I will buy Privi's.

ft

I don't disagree with you Lee, but with shooting my different guns, paper punching, range work and stalking i'm loading about 500 rounds every couple of months (not including a brick of 1000 22 rounds). Stalking may be but a very small percentage of that number, but if i could cheaply feed my 'knock about' gun with something that was reasonably accurate and i had confidence in for approx £40 every 6 months, i'd be happy.

I have heard that many of the service rifle shooters love the stuff.

The way I looked at it was that I could buy 20 if they were no good I'd be 11 quid down, if as happened they were ok then I've scored.

I reload for All my calibres but clients use factory.
The results have been that good on deer and practice I now use Privvi myself.
In both 156+ 139 SP's.
Slow but sure and NO meat damage.
£10 a box dicounted.
PRICELESS.
Liked them that much tried a box in 22250 went back and got 200 for vermin. 1/4 inch 4 shot groups at 100m's and sae Zero as my fox round.

If you can get a hold of Lapua Mega give them a go, I don't know how available they are in the UK but they are very reasonably priced over here in Norway and are highly recommended across Scandinavia. I use them in 155grain in my 6.5x55 and they are great for roe and up to moose, I homeload mine to around 780m/s and the meat damage is almost nothing and the accuracy is superb!

Here's a pic of a 5 shot group I shot a couple of weeks ago, ignore the fyer ;)
1c59978b.jpg

Last edited:
Back