Bucks fever V's MOA.

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
Tack drivers Pahhh.
I like you love to see my rilfes go sub MOA and they do, but what use are clover leaf groups worth if your nerve is gone when a buck stands 30-140m's from you??
This might seem a strange question but my run of luck lately has prompted this.
Usually misses average for my clients less than 10% not bad to say 85% of shots are taken standing off sticks.
During the rut its all gone wrong (for want of a better word).9 bucks missed and 7 killed clean, (thankfully none wounded) since 1st August.
Now a roe takes some missing "clean" why none wounded??
Guns checked and ok. Pilot error why so many misses??
Not shooting through cover,open grasses and stubble.
Should these boys be practicing more before coming or is it just the fever.
Have any of you come accross such a run of misses.??
Not trying to upset clients or cause embarresment just thought this might be interesting and a little different from the same old threads on here of late.
All guns in new and zeroed condition.
Tack drivers are great but give me a man who can hit a 4 inch circle under pressure anyday.
regards john.

Last edited:
good question john does buck fever take over if so lots more practise needed but then again untill buck fever under control these people are always gunna struggle i personly think people should start out on mybe taking does rather than bucks but then with thhe same animal in the cross hairs minus antlers would the same thing happen is it the fact that its a buck or not now this is also a question we must ask ourselfs
scotty

i honestly think people need to get out more and practice off sticks at targets in all weather so people are more confident with the gear they are using .its ok having the latest greatest kit but you do need to be able to use it in field conditions. its ok using tables and bags to get good grouping as a base line but shooting off sticks needs practice and add to that unfavourable conditions and addrenaline and the wobbles become even more,wayne

not alot you can do i guess if thats the case bud but im sure your having a great time at least its clean misses saving the buck for another client lol

I can't lie i've suffered with it when i firsted started out a bit but has since long gone but what i have always found off putting is when someone else is watching you then the pressures really on not to f@#k it up,perhaps you should pretend you've got to take a leak just before they take the shot.;)
Neil.

but not eing funny if i was taking a client out id rather watch the shot knowing if the animal has been hit wounded or clean miss to be honest i cant imagine many guides would allow your run of the mill client a free unwatched shot or that may be just my opinion
scotty

but not eing funny if i was taking a client out id rather watch the shot knowing if the animal has been hit wounded or clean miss to be honest i cant imagine many guides would allow your run of the mill client a free unwatched shot or that may be just my opinion
scotty
Note the word pretend and the wink i wasn't for one minute suggesting John should just leave them to it.
Neil.

I have to admit John I was tracking a good buck through the scope a couple of weeks ago & had the shakes pretty bad. I'm 53 now & have shot in one form or another all my life but I still get a good case of the jitters sometimes. Couldn't take the shot on this occasion as the bugger didn't move out of long grass cover enough. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Chris

easy!!.... target shooters turned stalkers!!!..yes its the lesser spotted target shooter!!!:eek: ..they are normally with their "tikka t3" and all the trimmings,they have accuracy to perfection and can shoot the eyebrows off a flee at 200mtrs!!,they book a day on deer and when presented with the perfect shot they panic thinking it wont stay still like their target for to long,and so pull at the trigger and the shot goes high!!.. inexperienced at killing a living thing...i know we all have to start some were but i would say take your time make sure your shot is a good one or don't take it!! theres always tommorow!!..and so to recap on your question "bucks fever vs moa" inexperienced stalkers what else??........sod the tin hat ime off to the nuclear bunker!!!!:camo:

I have to admit John I was tracking a good buck through the scope a couple of weeks ago & had the shakes pretty bad. I'm 53 now & have shot in one form or another all my life but I still get a good case of the jitters sometimes. Couldn't take the shot on this occasion as the bugger didn't move out of long grass cover enough. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Chris
well impressed a true stalker!!! shakes...jitters but did not take the shot in haste:tiphat:

Interesting question and one I asked myself on the 190mile return drive yesterday after an awful display - missed 2 bucks cleanly on separate days. Granted I've missed before and wounded an animal or two, but I've been fortunate enough only not to find 2 of the hit deer in 4 years of stalking.

Could it be buck fever? Could be? but my 1st ever shot was a Roe buck off sticks and since that day I've shot 5 of the British deer species in various positions and in not so pleasant weather conditions, so why the misses?

All I can put it down to is pilot error but why all of a sudden is a question I’m having difficulty answering. It doesn’t help been watched and judged, but again I’ve been in more stressful places stalking, so that doesn’t really answer it?

But finally on a positive and I feel this is the only positive (on such an embarrassing trip) both deer left unhurt? The fox was less lucky!

Jon

John, I have a solution that some of my clients from the winter may well have witnessed... What I call quad pod sticks, 2 sets screwed together at the bottom...

People will argue and they have tried without trying...

~~~ Oh they take to much setting up, they are restricting, they are hard to move~~~ etc etc

I have been using mine now for 6 months... And i can set them up in 2 - 3 seconds if i have to be quick at yet when there up a couple more seconds adjustment and the shot is often taken in the next second... Ok maybe i could set up a set of normal sticks up if rushed quicker but never could i take a shot off them within a second or so... They are solid when steady...

So this is when rushed, when people say all the problems will occur...

If you have time the advantages are just endless... Especially if you take a few neck shots as a Roe's neck even at 40 yards is not a huge target with a few nerves...

I think i would be right in saying that when nerves hit home you are most likely to snatch at a shot and therefore pull or push the shot, this is near enough impossible with these sticks and you can only really miss high or low...

I suppose its something that you just have to try but i would recommend them to anyone to at least try... Most of my clients took to them after a demo and using them in the field...

I stand by them even my father, in Scotland shot a Roe Buck off them at 120m perfect chest shot and he said what a fantastic idea the confidence he felt when taking the shot took away all the doubts...

if anyone would like to hear how to make them, the last set took me 10 mins and all you need is 4 green garden canes, 4 bolts and nuts and a drill!!! PM me i will be happy to help...

ATB

Alex

John, I have a solution that some of my clients from the winter may well have witnessed... What I call quad pod sticks, 2 sets screwed together at the bottom...

People will argue and they have tried without trying...

~~~ Oh they take to much setting up, they are restricting, they are hard to move~~~ etc etc

I have been using mine now for 6 months... And i can set them up in 2 - 3 seconds if i have to be quick at yet when there up a couple more seconds adjustment and the shot is often taken in the next second... Ok maybe i could set up a set of normal sticks up if rushed quicker but never could i take a shot off them within a second or so... They are solid when steady...

So this is when rushed, when people say all the problems will occur...

If you have time the advantages are just endless... Especially if you take a few neck shots as a Roe's neck even at 40 yards is not a huge target with a few nerves...

I think i would be right in saying that when nerves hit home you are most likely to snatch at a shot and therefore pull or push the shot, this is near enough impossible with these sticks and you can only really miss high or low...

I suppose its something that you just have to try but i would recommend them to anyone to at least try... Most of my clients took to them after a demo and using them in the field...

I stand by them even my father, in Scotland shot a Roe Buck off them at 120m perfect chest shot and he said what a fantastic idea the confidence he felt when taking the shot took away all the doubts...

if anyone would like to hear how to make them, the last set took me 10 mins and all you need is 4 green garden canes, 4 bolts and nuts and a drill!!! PM me i will be happy to help...

ATB

Alex

Thanks Alex but I have carried them for clients as well as tri sticks and hate them in our bramble and wold enviourment.
They take for ever to set up can be noisey in use and I see them as a gimmick. with practice on x2 sticks and a cooler head can over come.
They may well work well with practice but I have touched them lightly and that was enough for me.
Thanks for the thought
regards john.

When I first held a rifle on a live target (off sticks) after many years of not rifle shooting, I got the shakes good and proper. I apologised to the guy taking me out, then concentrated on my breathing until I got myself under control and got a decent sight picture. Then the safety came off and I took the shot. He asked me where I shot the fox and where the exit wound should be. Fortunately I got it right and have been asked back there!

I had the same on my first successful fallow buck stalk, neck shot at less than 20 yards in thick cover (it was at an owners request to cull an injured buck and got me the stalking, not something I would normally do. If you do, fair play to you, but it's not my normal game). It took me quite a time to control my breathing, but the safety stays on until I feel able to shoot. If not, surely you don't shoot? Or am I just too old fashioned??

ft

John, I totally understand your points...

My thoughts for others who may ask these questions...

However cool head, as Flytie says comes with slowing the breathing = Time... Therefore for me this excludes the time of setting up issue... Also if your with an inexperienced client or inexperienced stalker who may have issues and you percentages are dropping in terms of "Kills" and "Misses" then in most situation would you not sacrifice a few seconds more for an accurate and confident shot... I can only speak for myself but if i had an outing as a client/stalker and i didn't take a shot as I was not confident of a clean kill i would feel like a missed opportunity however no miss or worse injury... However if i got the shot of, off a set of sticks that I wasn't happy with or missed then it would ruin my whole evening or morning and most likely trip maybe thats just the way I am...

With regards to noise, this can be solved for me by tight bolts and some tape in places that you may bang or scrape...

Anyways good luck and Im sure things will look up, I have not been doing what you have for long enough to have had a bad run Im sure it may happen one day if i continue...

ATB

Alex

Back