Thread: 30-06 - 308

30-06 - 308

Anybody an idea what trajectory you would get in these calibres with a 150 grain Sierra Gameking or a 130 grain Barnes TSX, this when handloaded? Cartridge meant for stalking deer on the hill. The Norma catalog says for the 150 grain Nosler BST in 30-06
    100 yards : + 1.8" // 200 yards : zero // 300 yards : -7,7"

Hmmmm. Handloads do vary from rifle to rifle. If I recall rightly, at 100 yards zero I got a 2" drop at 200 and 8" drop at 300 from my .308 SSG
    The bullets were 150 grn SST Hornady Interlock and 130 grn soft point Hornady, both pushed along with 46 grains Varget.

For interest - and I measured all ranges with my leicas, the 150 grainers dropped 26" at 389 yards, (target was a large cardboard panel up the side of a ravine), and the 130 grainers dropped 28".
    The 150 grain bullets - three of them - grouped 2 and 3/4 ", and the 130 grainers grouped 3 and 1/2". I was firing at a black diamond which I could barely see so I set it in the corner of the top right, 90 degree angle against the cross hair because the cross actually hid it.
    I confess that I did not do the rifle justice.

The retained power in the 150 grain bullets made impressive dents in the rock behind the target whilst the 130 grain bullets didn't make more than shallow marks.

Different bullets to those you mention, but I hope this helps in some way.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

Do you mean in the 30 -06 with 308 sized hole or do you mean both the 30 - 06 and the 308 Winchester? I'm not quite sure but if you are also asking about the 308 Win then my 150 grain Hornady spire points handloads are 2 inches high at 100 for a zero about 220 and 2 inches low at 250. After that I will not be shooting it anyhow, they are leaving the barrel at 3000fps and the pressure seems reasonable as I'm on 9 reloads of some cases with this load and the primers still seat well. Hopefully that is some use to you and hopefully I understood the question.

Hello Hales Smut,

Caorach has a different zeroing system to me - but both will do the job and get the bullet into the killing area. His loads are pretty flat.
    In the difference between the 30-06 Springfield and .308 Win. both pushing the .308 diam. bullet, I don't believe that there's much between either despite the difference in case size - they just use different powders and gain roughly the same speeds. In some cases of bullet and powder recipes one overtakes the other at times and the bigger charge in the '06 case might shove the heavier bullets along a bit further.
    You can do comparison research on both until your hair falls out, but at the day's end, lay down behind either cartridge and the average fellow might not notice much difference in strike position between bullets of the same weight from one cartridge to the other at normal stalking distances. Certainly the killing circle of 4" is well within the strike of both.
    BUT, I'm quite happy to receive a burst of flack on that one. We are learning all the time.

My more distance shooting was out of curiosity. It IS handy to know what your rifle can do in an emergency situation. I frankly despise the mentality of using living creatures as curiosity targets at long ranges in order to play with long range bullets, but on two occasions in thirty years I had the unsavoury job of reaching out and hauling a beast back in - after a long stalking-type run - after an unfortunate bit of shooting on the guest rifle's part. It was at that time of day when the light was going to be a factor and the wounded beast was heading for the far horizon - and goodness-knows in whose ground he would stop.
    As in all other aspects of shooting and stalking, animals do not always obey the average dictums as set down in books and lore of how and what to do when things come unstuck.

Thanks for your answers. I'll try to make a long story as short as possible. I already own a 7x64 wooden stocked Browning European. Accuracy is pretty good. I have been building out my stalking gear step by step. Jackets, boots, ..... My next move is a synthetic stocked rifle. The A bolt ( end of the model) is sold at about 60% of the price of a tikka T3. When watching photo's in diffrent galleries, flat trajectory seems to be a usefull thing in Scotland. The A bolt is only available in 243/308/30-06. Normally I am a heavy for calibre bullet man.
    I just think about, if it would be possible getting a 30-06 ( or 308) almost as flat shooting as a 270. Detachable mounts and 2 scopes can make a 30-06 very versatile.

I suspect that if you want to shoot heavy for caliber bullets then you are going to favour the 30-06 over the 308W but I have no experience with the 30-06 so you will need to consult others on that matter. If you are doing for 130 or 150 grain bullets then I don't think you will see much practical difference between the two and you might burn a bit more powder in the 30-06 for the same end result.

As for shooting as flat as a 270, well I stuck the data for the 130 grain 270 Hornady spire point into a ballistic calculator and the figures are pretty close to what I see for the 308W, at 250 the 270 would be 1.7 inches low compared to my 2 inches low. I am not going to shoot a deer beyond 250 yards so while some may talk about the drop at 500 yards or whatever that really doesn't matter to me.

The reason why I zero as I do is because my range estimation isn't great but I will not choose to shoot anything beyond 200 yards so my particular load/rifle/scope combination allows me to make an error of 50 yards in the range estimation at the 200 yard mark and still be no more than 2 inches low. This means, to keep things simple for myself as I'm a pretty simple person, that if the deer looks shootable then all I need do is throw the rifle up and aim dead on.

Bang-on caorach

Thanks. That's a bit the way it's done here on the continent. Most rifles are zeroed to shoot max 4 cm high ( about 1.6") . Zeoed like this most common calibres ( 270/7x64/....) shoot about 4 cm low at 220/230 metres. This is called " optimal zeroing distance " . The range in which you can hold dead on. Your 2 inch zone is about the same.
    I only have the Norma catalog available with this values. Nothing for 250m , like you say 250 m is more than far enough to shoot at living creatures.
    The 270 is probably one of the best "hill" longrange calibres with reasonable recoil, but the 30-06 and even the 308 will not be far behind it seems.