Range Finder

kip270 said:
I love my Leica, and have had my moneys worth.

:D

Forgot to mention I am a Leica fan also much better than the US model I used before I got the Leica's. :D

B-B

BB's insights are very useful.

I borrowed a chum's RF the other day, and found the results interesting. My paced-out distances along my sight line were VERY accurate up to about 150 yards. No more than a yard or two out. Where I WAS wildly out was over sight lines that included a hillock or two. There, what I extimated at 300 or 400 yards was often much less.

So, I've ordered a rangefinder. As usual I found them to be MUCH cheaper in the States. I have bought a Leica 900 via EBAY for £150 shipped. The 1200 is better, but the diference in range is unlikely to affect me very often. Leica are obviously the cat's whiskers, but other makes are ridiculously cheap. You have to go to ebay.com rather than ebay.co.uk. which is just the British site.

If you fancy a cheapy chance, Bushnell do a poor-man's Geovid-type binocular/rangefinder. It certainly wouldn't have the binocular performance of the Leicas, but not everyone can afford the best.

The ancient Greeks used to advise 'KNOW THYSELF.' I know all to well that I love my grown-up toys. If the Geovids were smaller and lighter, I'd buy them today. Divorce would follow swiftly, but it MIGHT be worth it.

I agree with BB re the range finding before the shot, as it can be a great help in locating the fallen beast by lasering back to the tower or ladder seat to determine the probable location of the outshot signs, especially in summer and the rut when the cover is thick. It saves a lot of stumbling about searching for transepts in the gloom.

I also use it to get better idea of ranges when on a clear fell area where distance is deceptive especially in fading light. I tend to spend a few minutes lasering marks early on, and then think about what will be possible and humane as light fades later in the evening.

I have a Leica 850 which is a bit long in the tooth nowadays, but it works fine for me,

Peter

Range Finders

Hi alled12
In answer to your questions about the Zeiss Diarange, best scope I've ever used, apart from the Range finder built into the scope the scope it's self is a Victory 3-12x56, if you've not used one I would recommend having a look through one just on dark, then you get an idea about the quality compared to other scopes, the range finder only requires pressing the button just behind the objective lens housing and the range to the nearest meter is displayed at the bottom of the reticle.
As I mentioned I do use a 6.5x55, along with Norma 120 grain Nosler BST bullets, with the rifle zeroed at 100 metres you have 5 cm of drop at 150 meters and 15 cm at 200 meters, having used the range finder for nearly a year my judgement has improved to within a few meters, but when stalking Fallow on open ground the Range finder has prooved its self invaluable.

BW

Question

Hi 300wsn

The uses of a LRF are many beyond just checking the range to target creating range cards for high seats is just one such example.

I'm running the risk of sounding stupid, but can you explain the thinking/process of creating range cards for highseats. Do you put out pegs at different distances to help with range estimation?

Using range cards also means that you have to physically walk around the area.
That way you know the terrain better, ditches, pot holes, whats the other side of the hedge and any unsafe areas.
As they say in the old country 'measure twice, cut once'.

I have an old Bushnell which was given to me by a client some years ago. I find it comes in useful when on the hill, as open hill ground can be deceptive at times, especially if you have dead ground which you cannot see in front, and although I find ranges reasonably easy to judge on this terrain. It is nice to be able to prove to the client laying next to you that the beast is within a shootable distance.

Hi Guys.

I use my Leica range finder on a regular basis in Scotland where shooting distances are in the order of 200m + for the roe deer due to the nature of the terrain. It stays in the roe sack until needed. Excellent for checking out distance references on new land.
Remember most misses are due to poor range estimation.

Mark

Useful for shooting at longer ranges on open ground when estimating distance can be difficult. But with flat shooting calibres out to 200 yards not really needed,but I still carry one.

I would guess that 1 out of 10 deer I shoot have been “lasered” but like Monty I have put up in our high seats and Low boxes small maps marking out ranges to prominent markers ie tree line, fallen trees ect. This helps the syndicate members that do not have a rangefinder.

I have also used it to plan stalks as follows, once I have spotted a deer that is too far away to shoot from my position, and I am required to stalk into it. I just take measurement to the deer say 500yrds then if there is a obvious point that I think will be a good position to shoot the deer from I take a measurement to that, say that it is the top of a ridge and it is 400yrds away. I then just stalk to the ridge, come over the top knowing that the deer will be 100yrds away job done. :D

Once the deer is shoot it is sometimes difficult to see were it has fallen this is often the case once the undergrowth has grown up. If you laser to were you think the deer has fallen say it is 105yrds put a marker were you shot from, a tissue on a tree branch works well. Then walk to were you think the deer has fell, laser back to your marker and once you get to 105yrds look for your deer or paint and pins :confused: (this were I find the rangefinder is really good.) now attend to your dead deer or follow up as appropriate to the paint and pins found.

In my case get my GWP.

B-b
+1, exactly how use mine, invaluable in fading light for lasering back, or get a dog, or both.
atb blue

Strewth, an 8 year old thread resurrected! I'll bet more of us use them now than then... Having EL-R bins I range pretty much all the time as it's just a push of the button.

Back