Recommendations up to £1000

ksb

A friend is looking to spend around the £1000 mark for a new or s/h rifle in .308. What do you guys think is worth the money at the moment and what should be avoided

Requirements
synthetic, not heavy barreled, screw cut

thanks
Keith

Buy a shot out Rem 700 in 243 or 22-250 (plenty of VSSF's out there) have it re-barrelled and still have some change out of a grand...

rem 700 in stainless would be my choice!

nice strong smooth action ,very accurate, cheap replacement parts !

i would avoid a manlicher! In my opinion they have gone down hill! dont care for there clunky action, and there safe bolt system sucks!
the stocks are to soft !
I dont believe they have any quality control at there factory!
I will never buy another steyr!

Howa 1500. Lovely build quality and one of the best in terms of value for money at the moment (IMHO). I would choose a Howa over a Rem 700 any day.

You don't say if the £1k budget includes the scope?

There are very few options under £1000 for a new rifle currently. Realistically, you have Howa or Tikka for a synthetic/stainless.

If I was buying a new 308, I would buy a Howa barrelled action (which I think you can do now), get the barrel cut back and threaded to 20", and buy it a decent stock, Edi of this forum makes lovely stock for the Howa.

Secondhand, a Sako or maybe a Sauer if he could scrape up £1200.

Watch guntrader every week, you might pickup a second hand semi custom for around that money.

i would go down the route of a shot out remmy and rebarrel in 308. not only will it work out cheaper but your have a nice custom barrel.

if i was looking for a accurate factory rifle then savage get very good write ups

Howa 1500. Lovely build quality and one of the best in terms of value for money at the moment (IMHO). I would choose a Howa over a Rem 700 any day.

You don't say if the £1k budget includes the scope?

£1000 for the rifle only,

He has booked stalking for december and would like to get the rifle through in that time so to get a shot out rifle and rebarrel unless i am off the mark would require a variatiuon after the original was granted. I assume that the original rifle inc barrel would need to be applied for, once that has been granted the new barrel would need to be added to his FAC. Giving NI Firearms times at the moment i think he may get that in time for next years season :)

thanks for the replies so far. I would tend to agree with the steyr opinion, i shoot a 223 pro mountain mk11 , i like the rifle but certainly wouldnt buy another. Although i have to say that the safe bolt system is a big plus in my book.

keith

Keith, not necessarily. Let's say he bought an old rem from a dealer and sent it directly to the smith. The smith issues a bill of sale for a Rem serial no xxx in 308win, your pal then puts in for the variation for this rifle.

I would still say he has bugger all chance of being in action for December. Just over three months for a NI variation, plus getting a smith to do the work? Good luck with that one....

Buy a shot out Rem 700 in 243 or 22-250 (plenty of VSSF's out there) have it re-barrelled and still have some change out of a grand...

Couldn't agree more. Gone this route myself a couple of times. As stated a vssf gives you an HS precision stock, aluminium bedding block that may (or not) require the slightest machining. With a bit of spare cash in the future pop a jewell trigger in and you have a custom job for under £1200. No contest.;)

Back