Hunting cabins

Dano

Do UK stalkers use hunting cabins much. Im talking about a wooden shack with a woodburner and bunk. I know the yanks use them a lot but i cant find anywhere this side of the pond where you can get access to them. Do you have to be lucky enough to have the land and then own a cabin outright or can they be rented over here?
Iv always wanted some sort of retreat right in the wild without any of the interferances of the 21st century, surley you dont have to be loaded or extremely well connected to attain that?
How would someone go about acheiving this in the UK?

Dan:)

There is a bloke on here goes by Munty I think, runs a syndicate in Hertfordshire. He has a fantastic hunting lodge. Converted farm building I think. Kitchen, bar, eating area, sofa's, sodding great wood burner, shower block and bunk block. It is a magic place for a lads weekend.

I could happily live there. Only drawback is the psychotic GWP....

Paul, did you ever fix that bloody trip switch??

There is a spot on a hillside in north Co Antrim looking out towards Scotland. I would give my left testicle to have a cabin there. Never going to happen with the planners.

Last edited:
There is a bloke on here goes by Munty I think, runs a syndicate in Hertfordshire. He has a fantastic hunting lodge. Converted farm building I think. Kitchen, bar, eating area, sofa's, sodding great wood burner, shower block and bunk block. It is a magic place for a lads weekend.

I could happily live there. Only drawback is the psychotic GWP....

Paul, did you ever fix that bloody trip switch??

There is a spot on a hillside in north Co Antrim looking out towards Scotland. I would give my left testicle to have a cabin there. Never going to happen with the planners.

I hope to have a forest with log cabin in place before early retirement:D

It's not something that's overly done here, in fact quite rare, it should be though.

I stalk with a pal of mine in Perthshire who has an old abandoned keepers house/bothy in the middle of the forest, it ain't fancy but we have a fire, old gas cooker, couple of dodgy sofas and some bunks, it's ideal, I try and escape there once a year, just take the rifle and dogs.

a couple of bottles of Macallan also a must

If more cabins were in place , I'm sure the divorce rate would slow down:lol:

Funnily enough, there are the ruins of an old cottage/bothy on this particular hill. There have been some changes in planning regs here which means it might just be possible to get planning. They would not allow a log cabin though, you would have to build in stone with a slate roof.

I do regard myself as lucky as thats exactly what I have done. Its a bit better than a room with a wood burner though but one of these it has too. . . Lots of lads from on here have stayed there to stalk. If I can help anyone with info on the cabin and how to get one please pm me. Id be glad to help.

David

Last edited:
Tony Halpin has an advert in shooting times most weeks. He has a rental cottage with wood burner etc. that is in the middle of a 3000 acre forest in SW Scotland. you can rent that and walk out of the door and stalk Roe and Red.

I am one of the SD members who has stayed in Mellness Forest Lodge as a guest of David Brown. I bet more than 12 of you have done the same. I go up at least three times a year. It is in the heart of the forest in a clearing by a Lochan. Has three bedrooms , electricity the lot. Best of all you can look out the windows at groups of Red Stags in the evening and hear the Sika whistle in the rut. It is paradise. I hope to go back in a couple of weeks. Bambislayer-you should go and see it if you have that dream. Its not too far from Boat of Garten and I am sure David would welcome you.

Fab2

We tendered for a lease ealier this year Nr Moniave and that had a cabin with kitchen, bathroom, living room all electrics, garage to hang deer etc - basically it was like a ski challet.

Reckon the lease went for about £8 per acre :eek: I'm sure someone on here is probably in that syndicate or has been...

Rgds

Rob

Back