Thread: Deer Diarrhoea

Deer Diarrhoea

I've got a question for you all. If I find muntjac fummets that are very watery (diarrhoea) during the winter months, is this due to the deer eating frozen food stuff and affecting the bacteria in the rumen?
    Is this life threatening to the deer in question?

Many thanks in advance.

Answer to your question. When it freezes the cell walls of the plants etc rupture so releasing more available nutrients when it thaws. The rumen gets an overload of nutrients which upsets the pH of the digestive system hence diarhoea mixed with normal faeces. It doesn't hang around long enough to resorb excess water hence soft fummets. Normally they take in food as rapidly as possible breaking it down slightly on first chewing then retire to regurgitate and cud,breaking it down further ,they need to top up energy more frequently than the bigger deer,like teenagers always hungry. Munties need high energy food thus delight in bulbs etc

Mr B.

l certainly aint no expert but l do cull the odd roe in winter that have the same symtums (if thats how you spell it) usually in younger animals and as far as l can tell its down to them eating rape, never seen it in muntjac though it is very likely caused by something they are eating or it may be a result of rutting as you sometimes see in red deer - just a thought.

Some young roe feeding on rape which is the brassica family get an overload of thiaminase which knocks out some of the available thiamine vitamin which their body hasn't had long enough to store due to their age. This leads to some diarrhoea. That is why patients on long oral courses of antibiotics need to supplement the B vitamins. Diarrhoea during the rut is caused by not eating much if at all hence not sufficient roughage in the rumen and they loose about 25% of their body weight

Thank you Gentlemen for your very comprehensive answers. So I can take it that it is not life threatening to deer?

Eating brassicas , rape turnips etc, especialy if they have been frosted. Also seen chronic runs in sika deer , caused by yones disease if memory serves me correct, carcasses were all destroyed

Guys, sorry to cast up an old thread, I'm just browsing for objective answers to some DSC questions and wondered about springtime diarrhoea in younger Roe.

Whats the opinion, would this deem the carcass unfit for entering the food chain, even if the animal was in reasonable condition for the time of year and no other indication of disease?

I'd appreciate your thoughts??

I am not sure why an animal that has diarrhoea yet is in good condition may be considered unfit for consumption.
    diarrhoea has as many causes in deer as it does in humans yet the body will work it out in three to five days.
    If i where to shoot an otherwise healthy animal i would have no issues with eating it. ps i don't sell game to dealers.

my view.

ta f.

Quote Originally Posted by rigboot View Post
    Guys, sorry to cast up an old thread, I'm just browsing for objective answers to some DSC questions and wondered about springtime diarrhoea in younger Roe.
    RB - I am very grateful that you did. The answer from Morena addressed a query I posted earlier in the year, unaware that this earlier thread existed.

My daggy roe did not go into the food chain.
    KevinF -