.25wsm

B

Bradley

I've been searching for a calibre that has a bit of reach and punch for extended fox shooting. 350m plus.

That would be reasonably easy to reload for, ( No need for neck turning, good range of head weights etc etc.) and have recently settled on the .25wsm.

Has anyone come across the calibre before and what were you impressions?

325WSM has one, you could ask him.

All the info' I have read from the states indicates that it can’t do anything that a 25-06 can do, apart from fail to feed from the mag’ properly. :lol: :eek:

Thar

Thar said:
325WSM has one, you could ask him.

All the info' I have read from the states indicates that it can’t do anything that a 25-06 can do, apart from fail to feed from the mag’ properly. :lol: :eek:

Thar

Kev

Has he? I thought he had a 300wsm now up for sale, and a 325wsm due off the work bench shortly.

Where have you been reading this stuff? As my sources are rather more complimentary about the calibre. Similar performance to the 25-06AI but with out the reloading case prep aggravation.

I could always go down the 6.5X68 route I suppose.

I'd consider a .22 swift if it wasn't such a barrel burner.

Might just go for a 22-243 Middlestead

Guns and Ammo mag' is were I read it, they rated the Browning A-Bolt best as a rifle for it, fed the round best.

B-b

Thar said:
Guns and Ammo mag' is were I read it, they rated the Browning A-Bolt best as a rifle for it, fed the round best.

B-b

Couldn't have been a .25wsm as its a wildcat custom job only.

Sure you've not got it confused with the .25wssm? Which is a Browning production calibre.

Oh I should of read your post more carefully :oops: I see you have only one S in your WSM. :eek: Now that would be a screemer. :evil:

Thar

Kev

Now ain't that always the way? :lol:

Thinking of building it on a Tikka 595 action, if I can find one

Hi,
Only catch up occasionally so only just seen the post.

I have tried all the WSM factory rounds and stuck with 300 and 325WSM as the most suitable for my needs and enjoyment. Yes I am selling rifles in both cals but only because I now have two new ones as well - Montana's.

I do have a 25WSSM - a WW Featherweight and it is as good as my 25-06 as an all round 25cal and accuracy wise seems better esp at longer ranges.

I have tried it out to 600yds approx with factory 120 and have really surprised myself, despite the low weight recoil is minimal and noticeably less than the 25-06.

I was intending to build a 25WSM but since this (25WSSM) is proving so good I can see no reason to, as where this leaves off the 300 will easily take over.

I've not shot a 300 at extreme ranges, but I know folk are finding the 300WSM excellent at 1000+yds so that might be the answer to your long range foxes. :lol:

The 25WSM will show short barrel life 1-1500 rounds if loaded to max and there is no point in bothering if you are not going to get the best out of it. Either way build a 25 on a 7mmWSM as the US bods seem to think that is the way to go.

Or just have a word with BWUK and see if they still have a 25WSSM left either here or in Belgium.
M

I may be a bit of a caveman, but I regularly shoot foxes out to 300 yds, and occasionally to 400, with my .223, A Steyr Elite with a Falcon 10x42 scope, handloaded with 55-grn Nosler ballistics. It's never failed to do the job yet.

Are you running your .223 on the hot side. As I've always thought the .222 and .223 ballistics performance to be marginal once you're passed 250m. Especially when your shooting anything larger than a rabbit.

I like my quarry to be killed out right either through neurological or hydrological shock and marginal ballistics does not allow for any margin of error. So its the 6mm's and upwards for me at those sorts of ranges.

Bagpuss said

"Are you running your .223 on the hot side. As I've always thought the .222 and .223 ballistics performance to be marginal once you're passed 250m. Especially when your shooting anything larger than a rabbit. "

I've shot hundreds of foxes with a .223 some of them 250 yds+ with one common result, they fall over. I have .24, 6.5, & 30 cal but for foxes my .223 s always first out of the cabinet.

Wd

Bradley said:
I've been searching for a calibre that has a bit of reach and punch for extended fox shooting. 350m plus.

That would be reasonably easy to reload for, ( No need for neck turning, good range of head weights etc etc.) and have recently settled on the .25wsm.

I'm very interested in the .25wsm as an step up from a .243.

How has your build project progressed?

twoby said:
Bradley said:

I'm very interested in the .25wsm as an step up from a .243.

How has your build project progressed?

Why not just get a .260?

[

Why not just get a .260?[/quote]

Well said! i've got one cracking round if i ever have my AIAE re-barreled it will be .260 as well

There is a lengthy discussion going on the UKVermin forum about the merits of .260's

But having had a look at this .25wsm it is a quite impressive round and well worth consideration.

300wsm said:
a 25-06 out performs a 25wssm all day long with all availible bullet weights and the 25wsm is just a barrel burner. The standard 25-06 case can hold more powder than can be burnt in the barrel so why build a rifle that can hold another 20grains of powder that cannot be burnt?

And you are basing the above on what sources of information?

I'd like to be able to investigate your barrel burner claim more as its not one that I have come across as well as the calibres powder over capacity.

Various people have claimed all sorts of calibres to be barrel burners. The only one I have come across that warrants that honour is the .220swift.

22-250

Why re-invent the wheel??

Whats wrong with buying 22-250. Get something with a heavy barrel and you should be laffing out to those distances.

I think people just like to be different .

22-250

Why re-invent the wheel??

Whats wrong with buying 22-250. Get something with a heavy barrel and you should be laffing out to those distances.

I think people just like to be different .

a 25-06 out performs a 25wssm all day long with all available bullet weights and the 25wsm is just a barrel burner. The standard 25-06 case can hold more powder than can be burnt in the barrel so why build a rifle that can hold another 20grains of powder that cannot be burnt?

I presently have both and am adamant that it is the pother way round. It is also fact that the WSM and WSSM range of cartridges 'seem' to offer better accuracy across a wider range of bullet weights than the equivalent 'standard ' cartridges.

I am more than happy to keep the 25WSSM in preference to the 25-06 as accuracy and lack of recoil alone makes it a 'better' rifle without the untold advantages for me of the extra short action.

So sorry I have to disagree.
M

Back