Range Rover Sport

EMcC

Has anybody got one and if so, I know how much money you have in the Bank ;) -- NONE
I have just had my Disco serviced and while I was at the garage looked at a new RR Sport.
Apart from the price, alright I can dream can't I :rolleyes: the tax for 12 months is - wait for it - £750 :eek:
I have recently taxed mine and didn't realise I had to pay £405 for 12 months because the first year I paid out so much it was lost among all the figures :confused:
How on earth can a private individual justify paying £750 just to use the roads, particularly now with the state they are in.
I reckon it is Government Robbery.:mad:

Has anybody got one and if so, I know how much money you have in the Bank ;) -- NONE
I have just had my Disco serviced and while I was at the garage looked at a new RR Sport.
Apart from the price, alright I can dream can't I :rolleyes: the tax for 12 months is - wait for it - £750 :eek:
I have recently taxed mine and didn't realise I had to pay £405 for 12 months because the first year I paid out so much it was lost among all the figures :confused:
How on earth can a private individual justify paying £750 just to use the roads, particularly now with the state they are in.

Eddie -

I reckon they prey on the old, the vulnerable, and the confused. What say you?:D

while I was at the garage looked at a new RR Sport.
Apart from the price, alright I can dream can't I :rolleyes: the tax for 12 months is - wait for it - £750

Cant understand why anyone would want one and I didnt know road tax could go that high.

Lets hope the new bunch sort this kind of thing out.

Cant understand why anyone would want one and I didnt know road tax could go that high.

Lets hope the new bunch sort this kind of thing out.
Not a chance mate.
Easy money because they know that the 99% of law abbiders will pay their road tax.
basil.

Oh I would certainly like one :D. Having sat in it for a few minutes I nearly did. You should have seen the salesmans eyes when I started asking about part ex for mine. He didn't answer until he'd given me a cup of coffee and a chocolate biscuit :D
Then when I found out about Insurance, Road tax and the amount of cash I would have to donate to offset for carbon emissions my face started to give the game away:eek:.
I thought the salesman was going to ask for the chocolate biscuit back so I scoffed it quick and told him I'd keep my present one for a little longer.

Go for the petrol and it will be the same as the jag I was looking at last week £950, in both cases that is just to get it out of the showroom for the first year after that it is £435 which is still massive. I went for the much cheaper x type!!

Dave

£750.00 :eek::eek:
My smart car may not be a 4 wheel drive shooting wagon, but farm tracks and meadows are ok (just about)
But 75mpg and free road tax are a great insentive to walk the bits I can't drive :p

Neil. :)

Yep I have one and its ace!
You know before you buy one that its not going to have the running costs of a fiesta! My average mpg since getting it is 29

Attachments

• P1250537.jpg
    P1250537.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 92
  • P1250533.jpg
    P1250533.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
£750.00 :eek::eek:
My smart car may not be a 4 wheel drive shooting wagon, but farm tracks and meadows are ok (just about)
But 75mpg and free road tax are a great insentive to walk the bits I can't drive :p

Neil. :)

I couldn't fit a tiny fraction of what we normally move in a car in a smartcar. How the heck do you fit a rifle in one? Dog? naw total waste of space for us. The old man has enough trouble getting into the normal cars let alone one of those pipsqueaks. Without $WD we would have been stuck when he was taken into Hospital Christmas afternoon. 4" of snow and ice outside. No we will keep the old Jeep. Just MOT'd and taxed the Jeep Cherokee £205 for a years tax, had the oil & filter changed and it needed three brake pipes and an exhaust clamp replaced to pass the test that whole lot came to just over £500 OK It might have some rust and use a bit of fuel but its' gets us there in the bad weather. As for new cars they are something to consider if we won the lottery. Not before.

Oh years ago I had a Mk11 Triumph spitfire of 1964 vintage. It was old when I brought it for £70, we did some work on it got and MOT etc and wow what fun. normal driving gave 50mpg from it's 1198 Std Triumph engine and twin SU's. So the smart has not really come that far in ecomony has it? My old Mk1 BX 1900 diesel also did 60mpg and could carry a lot.. nope no Smartcar not even as a gift. Oh and they break down too. Had to pick several up when I was on recovery :p.

In my opinion a Smart Car is one up from a Motor Cycle, ideal for commuting to and from work but definitely not a 'Country Vehicle'
I have noticed a lot of the Suzuki Jimneys being used off road lately and boy, do they go places I would not expect.
I presume it is due to their lack of weight that enables them to cross wet fields etc.
Some of the modifications I have seen have opened my eyes too.
Back seats removed or flat and plywood boxes, tailor made to fit, so the dog, muddy boots, cartridges, nets etc can be just slung in without a care in the world.
I would not like to drive one on a long journey though, whereas my Disco, I could drive to the end of the earth in comfort - if I could afford the fuel :D

Last edited:
I had a vitara pimped up for doing trial (previous owner) with the full mud and snow tyres on it and it was fantastic off road.

Dave

The sports are nice vehicles but aren't they a bit 'footballers wives' for you Eddy? Also, they are a bit lower and don't have the extra ground clearance which comes in handy, particularly if you are given to discovering the one soggy patch of bog in 200 acres of otherwise firm ground! :lol:

all the best,

Alex ;)

Hmm, you are probably right:), but I could have one and tow a trailor with a Fergie Tractor on board for use 'down there':D

In my opinion a Smart Car is one up from a Motor Cycle, ideal for commuting to and from work but definitely not a 'Country Vehicle'
I have noticed a lot of the Suzuki Jimneys being used off road lately and boy, do they go places I would not expect.
I presume it is due to their lack of weight that enables them to cross wet fields etc.
Some of the modifications I have seen have opened my eyes too.
Back seats removed or flat and plywood boxes, tailor made to fit, so the dog, muddy boots, cartridges, nets etc can be just slung in without a care in the world.
I would not like to drive one on a long journey though, whereas my Disco, I could drive to the end of the earth in comfort - if I could afford the fuel :D

I think the Suzuki Jimney is going back tot eh original LJ80 concept and they were quite amazing really considering it was basically a motorcycle engine adapted. They were very basic but went a lot of places that larger vehicles could not. I have looked at the later ones several times but never jumped in yet.

I was a launch engineer on the disco 3 cockpit in 2005 and the instrument panel is almost all the same parts as on the rr sport but the disco was launched first, just the visible mouldings are different. Possibly lots of other stuff all over the vehicle is carryover parts too as the customer only sees the outside style and not the internal substance just like a Jaguar with Mondeo switchgear.
Thats what kept me in beer for nigh on 40 years in that business.
Martin

They are the same as a Disco 3- different body shell.

10 model year are worlds apart from the pre 10 model year. the road tax will be £435 a year

PM me if you want any more info( i work on the things all day, AND no I don't sell 'em )

Jonathon

Back