Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting my pup tmmorrow

getting my pup tmmorrow

hi guys im going to pick my new lab pup up tommorrow. im wanting to use the dog on the beating line and a bit of rough shooting and picking up can any one give me any poiners on getting stared with the training.

Don't play tug with it and let it be a pup.

yep all ready figured that ha ha just going to start with a bit of obeisance first Min a day the the rest will just be play.

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    what type of pup are you getting??
    sorry Russ
    should of read "what line of pup are you getting"

Reason for the question is some lines are just not suited to the beating line, most will rough shoot okay depending on the ground you shoot
    but labs are not beating line dogs so don't push that side of training to much
    go more the Rough shooting and picking up route, as that will suit the lab more and give you more control when beating
    get it steady following the whistle , hand and voice commands
    you could Start with as a pup rolling and playing with tennis balls just infront of it, in the garden is ideal, little bit at the time as you don't want to over do it or risk over exerting the pup while it's bones are still growing
    as time and weeks progress increase the distance you throw the ball ( you will soon work out how far but keep it simple)
    basic sitting and stay from an early age but not straight away
    walking on a lead from the start but not taking any control let the pup get used to walking with the lead on even if it is pulling
    you can correct that later
    introduce it to cover by rolling the tennis ball into a flower bed or a bit of long grass and let it play and explore
    same as for water , roll the ball in a small puddle or similar
    little things like this will make training a darn site easier by the time it is 6-8 months old when you start on a more adult schedule
    and keep it fun as there is no need to rush , you hav 2 years + before the shooting season really starts
    as it will be tail end of next season where you will probably do a little and introduce it to the beating and gun lines , along with pigeoning and a bit of hedgerow rabbiting over the summer months , then start into a full season by the time it is 2+
    the one advantage of a lab, is you can take it lamping as they seem to enjoy that and working the beam for a retrieve
    good luck for the future

Thanks for that pal very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    sorry Russ
    should of read "what line of pup are you getting"

Reason for the question is some lines are just not suited to the beating line, most will rough shoot okay depending on the ground you shoot
    but labs are not beating line dogs so don't push that side of training to much
    This is some generalisation to make. Are you suggesting that a particular blood line may point blank not be suited to a beating line? As opposed to perhaps suggesting that in any litter of any breed whether pure lines or cross, that some pups may be better pickers up, some may be better hunters, some may be good in the water, some may be better markers or any mix thereof?

As an example, I have 2 litter sisters in my kennels that I bred myself, both well built and strong dogs unlike some that are trialled nowadays. The yellow one was always a reasonable dog and very biddable. The black one, the bigger and more powerfully built of the 2 would go through any cover at ridiculous speed, had an action more akin to a spaniel and yet would sit with another 3 or 4 dogs when loading at double gun days and pick up only on the command of her name. Just like her mother was but the yellow one did not turn out quite the same. The yellow one, crap in water. The black one fantastic. The black one good at marking and would work well at any distance from me onto a shot bird. The yellow one clingy. The black one in the right hands may have made a very good trialling dog, the yellow one a good peg dog. 2 dogs, one litter, both trained by me and unique in their own right. I owned a springer once that could also be handled out to any similar distance I have done with a lab and mark as well. Not every one has been like this, but there are always exceptions.

I had no idea these 2 would turn out like this until the training progressed. I have owned a springer, currently a cocker, countless labs and a German Wirehaired pointer which has been used solely for deer. I accept that certain traits like pointing, some breeds will not be EXPECTED to do. But I have seen labs point and very good at it as well.

Best dog I ever owned for ducks at a flight pond was a springer bitch and yet are labs not thought to be the better retrievers as their name suggests? And perhaps better in water as well?

The point I am making is that any breed of dog imho can hunt in a beating line provided it is introduced to it correctly to avoid it running wild and beyond reprimand when faced with a load of birds at a flushing fence. As a jack-of-all-trades which singularly owned dogs are generally expected to be, I have often recommended labs to first time owners as they appear (but not always because that would be an incorrect sweeping statement) less of a daunting prospect than a fiery wee spaniel.

Lets not get working in a beating line confused with the very different approach required for a quartering dog like a spaniel, being worked alone over cover.

if your going to use the whistle, start from day 1, recall them for their dinner etc, ive got a 6 month old one and its great fun if not a little 'challenging' at times. Use food as a bribe.. being a black lab, they will do anything for food.

Dont let it jump down from things either and dont walk it too much.

Sorry about the crate faff too fella, im up in Scotland so cant really help you, sorry again to mess you around.

On a more constructive note, I don't like a lot of the training films made as I think some are obviously using already trained dogs, however a couple well worth a look at are the ones that Edward Martin from Langton Hill Farm, Nr Jeburgh (SEALPIN affix) produced. Very informative using complete novice dogs as can be seen by their mistakes.

A couple he made were on the puppy stage with retrievers and more advanced training as well. To confirm what i said on my previous post, I often used Edwards dogs as studs. When he made the films he needed some footage of young pups to show the viewers what he looks for in choosing a pup. The 2 on the film are the yellow and black litter sisters I referred to in my earlier post. After consideration from memory I'm sure he said he would have picked the yellow one given the early signs. Not quite how it would have been expected to turn out after reading above post but that depends on what you want the dog to be good at.