Looking for Deer Stalking let / small syndicate membership

griff said:
SWR,
as I sit here writing this I am looking at the BDS stalking scheme in Dalmacallan forest which is only 800 yds away. Let me assure you that the head forester at AE who I know, is not re-assigning any leases and will be keeping them in house..
regards
griff

Only just seen this reply so here goes.

I think you may be misinformed griff as just recently their has been put to tender 3 leases that I know off as I am a sub lease name on one of the leases and i dont work for the F.C. I suggest anyone who may be interested in any leases should contact John Chapman direct C/O the forest of AE.
Postees will now doubt be aware that DEFRA has cut back considerably on funding to the F.C and it appears staff will have to go incl rangers so now may be a good time to approach them as the deer cull cannot be maintained without bodies on the ground and i dont suppose for one minute the rangers that are being dismissed will work for nothing so big changes are being banded about.

griff said:
308boy,
it was either myself or Bpb that dragged them in !
Isn't it amazing how quite it goes when those that say they have been are confronted with someone who has!
C'mon SWR when were you there and how many were shot? Just becuase you didn't shoot any, doesn't mean that there were non shot for that week!

regards
griff

Not that I am quite :lol: I try not to mouth off and cause confrontation
3 wise monkies and all that

I was up on the last day of the Hind cull a few years ago and took my caravan and stopped at a little camp site at the bottom of the island where most of the other lads found accomodation locally.

Neil was on the same ferry across with us were he had his unimog on a trailer for extraction purposes but as you will see by my comments a helicopter probably would be a more suitable tool

We all had a briefing bt Bob and Neil in the big hotel then issued with our safety pack we were split into pairs and given different beats , what i did notice which i thought was scandalous was their was considerable clear fell areas over most of the designated areas where they had just harvested the bottom of the trees and left the top 12 ft or so as it had fallen we was also instructed by Bob that should we come across any animal with broken legs in or out of season to shoot it.
I would obviously done that as a matter of course being a responsible stalker , he did say however that there was quite a few beasts hobbling round with broken legs and because of the natureof the way they had carried out the clear felling i was not surprised. I can honestly say that whilst their i did not see any beasts but a few of the other lads did connect.
Not the type of stalking that I would recomend to anyone but still if it lights your candle each to their own
Kind Regards
SWR

Remember me Neil I was the guy who got a bit of stalking off one of the local farmers :lol:
Is Bob still wearing his dayglow jacket?

I read this post by SWR with interest, as there is a similar thread on the Accurate Reloading site. On this site there is much discussion about taking a 280yds shot on the Isle of Arran. From what I have read you are lucky to see 100yds through all the fallen timber, so to take a 280yd shot on a Red Deer must be rare, and not to be recommended unless you are entirely confident with rifle, weather, terrain and yourself.

I am not a great lover of BASC, I along with many others have been let down badly by them in the past, and its jobs for the boys to me. For the money they are charging on Arran it is cheap Red Stalking. But by the time you take into account accommodation, food, transport costs plus your valuable time off from your main job, plus they have 16 stalkers a week sometimes :eek: (at least i think this is right) the odds of having a good succesful week are slim.

But for all those that are going I wish you the best of luck ;)

Jobs for the boys indeed I totally agree with you Malc BASC has always been on home from home for plummy mouthed pratts .. they a re like tweed clad clones :lol:
I had a spot of trouble some years ago during a breakdown of a relationship..my guns taken off me, I had done absolutely nothing wrong and as a paid up member I asked for help after taking 30 milli seconds told me in not so many words to forget it and find another hobby. :evil:
Luckily I had also supported the Shooters Rights Association .. htey got straight on the ball sorted it within weeks I had all my guns back!!
I have joined Basc again under great duress as a syndicate I shoot with insist on it otherwise they could go get stuffed :D

Leagleeagle69 I suggest you try the Gamekeepers association, same insurance cover mate, and the money goes to a good cause. Or BDS as a registered charity it is a non profit making organisation, as is soley for the benefit of deer.

I am afraid BASC have done nothing for me as a member. Some years back I even offered a weeks free stalking on 12500 acres I leased in Scotland for Reds and Sika for a young shot. It took them two years to make a move, and eventually I had a very nice young man who was excellant and well deserved to win. When they undertook my Level 2 some years back they cocked up the whole affair along with two other stalkers, It took the BDS to sort it out. I was not impressed and left BASC never went back, never will either.

im with you on this one sikamalc,i was a gamekeeper member of the basc some years ago and like most i had it for the insurance,anyway i injured my leg on the estate one day and i was off work for a few months so i contacted basc to see about my insurance they told me if i had cut my leg off with a chainsaw i would get something and that was that. :evil: i have now been a member of the national gamekeepers organisation for about 6 years and they give you all the surport you need,10 million insurance for £25 a year. :lol: happy days basc are way over priced just been speaking to a mate whos joined for wait for it £62 :lol: :lol:

Ohh well Tikka, you will have to tell your mate "Should have gone to Specsavers" :lol: £62 quid, god I hope their magazine they send out is worth it :eek:

they wont get me again,when you think its £25 to join the ngo and we are going to the the regional dinner dance in a few weeks £25 a ticket for a five course meal and im still £12 better off than with basc :lol: .

Dinner dance for 25 quids well thats me in then stuff basc, my better half says we haven't actually paid the subs so not going to now.. only downside is I can't use the wild fowling the syndicate has access to however to be honest I have never even set foot on it for five years so be no loss really ..
cheers guys

Unfounded sniping

My first time on a forum. First impressions? There is alot of unfounded and untested opinions getting fired around the place. Could this have anything to do with the fact that the authors are man enough to make comments from the conveniently unidentifiable forum names like redstag, .243 and other originals of the like.

Referring to BASCs stalking scheme (in Arran), I have been twice for hinds. It provided a brilliant chance for someone like myself (and evidently one of many in the same boat) to have a crack at a red deer (or any deer), unaccompanied. I saw numerous deer on each occassion, and could have shot a lot (and did), and mutterings from the other groups said likewise. The only reason why some folk didn't shoot/or even see a great deal (as the partner whom I was assigned with on the 1st week experienced- and whom I didn't have the heart to tell, NB I was with him at all times) was that they either didn't see the deer when they were there, or they made very sure the deer weren't going to be there to be seen. The deer were there alright, and very shootable. It just wasn't a fenced deer park, or a computer game. 'Tis the real thing!

The second week the majority of people complained there were no deer. It took a no nonsense (most importantly non-whining pommy type) South African pair to make headway with the cull. Myself and partners accounted for nine, behind folk (blocks rotate every am/pm stalk loosely) who adamantly declared "there were no deer there whatsoever - waste of time." Granted we were maybe lucky, but the general consensus was that we were "just jammy bastards - the deer weren't out when we were". You often make your own luck as with everything else in life.

From my limited experience of other "expert's" stalking abilities (declared as 10 - 40yrs experience inc. 'nam etc.) I can understand why vexed (and childish) comments get thrown around such as half appear to do here in this forum. Most people are better at taking through a stalk (and deer management!) than executing something that might resemble such.

Think before you blurt. Even if it just helps the newcomers to the sport get a better of idea of what stalking is really about.

And with utterly neutral opinions about BASC, thank you to BASC for a great opportunity which had PLENTY of opportunity.

Henry,

That is probably the most impressive first post I have ever seen on this or any other site. Well reasoned and well articulated, with a practical approach to the availability of stalking for a lot of people and to the scheme and the varying degrees of competence when actually in the field.

Welcome to the site, I look forward to more posts from you.

John

Back