Thread: custom built

custom built

how many of you have a custom built rifle and how many of you have had to play and tweak a factory built rifle .I am still looking at getting a 6.5x55 but could change that to 260 if its custom built. can not make up my mind weather to buy a custom or out of a box

What fun is it if you can't "play and tweak" your rifle? ~Muir

Yes to custom built.............................. but sadly not for me. They are know as bespoke. and one semi custom by DWM.

I have a couple of factory rifles and a custom built Roedale. There is a measure of excitement in configuring your own rifle and knowing it is one of a kind. Mine was a 40th birthday prezzie from my wife. Since I bought my Sauer I have come to realise that some factory rifles have just as much pride of ownership.
    Having been fortunate enough to own rifles from each end of the spectrum I would undoubtedly look forward to pampering a factory rifle. A nice trigger pull and a smooth blueprinted bolt would be my starting point followed by a pillar bedding job.
    I appreciate that for some peolple is just another tool, but I do like messing around with mine. I have often wondered just how much difference could be made to a cheap factory rifle's performance without actually binning the barrell.

As there are manufacturers now making rifles that they guarantee will shoot 1/2 MOA or better (Kimber) there seems little point in spending a small fortune on a custom plastic jobbie, unless you want a wildcat or a particularly short barrel etc. But if you fancy one, why not, it will give you hours of pleasure.

However if I won the lottery I would buy a rilfe by an English "Best Gun" maker, best walnut and blue

My Sako 75 with homeloads will easily do sub-MOA, and with someone who can really shoot using it has been known to shoot 1/2 MOA. I think it's an "I want" item not an "I need" one. But what the heck, if it keeps gunsmiths off the streets and out of the poor-house, you would be doing the economy a favour if you bought one. Then post pictures so we can all drool over it!

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Lancs / Cumbria Border
    For me it would be custom, or customised every time.

I would be though, as I roll my own

Ahhh flytie:-

However if I won the lottery I would buy a rifle by an English "Best Gun" maker, best walnut and blue
    It don't take a lottery win I picked up my Rigby Mannlicher for 275 a few years ago the medwell & Perritt cost a wee bit more but less than a Blaser

No custom rifle for me.

I have several out of the box deer rifles and all are capable of killing a deer at the distance that I would deem acceptable. I dont need a custom rifle, what I need is more practice.

i have custom and factory (22-250 tooley remington and 2 R93's) i would reccomend all of them. i have also had some factory rifles (model 70, t3 and prohunter) i wouldnt get any of them them again, although the t3 was not a bad rifle, just not as good as some. the model 70 was a big lump at the time, but with a new trigger it shot really well. the prohunter (RIP) i will not talk about, but will always remember.

only advice i can give is try before you buy, be prepared to sell and try and get one in a decent calibre!! if you look for good second hand your learning experience will not be as expensive as when you buy new.