Calling Muntjac Stalkers (Muntjac Research)

Remington 700

I've been assisting with this research for a short while and was wondering if other Muntjac stalkers would be willing to assist. It's really simply, (Date, Location (area name, six figure grid reference), sex and sample tube number.) The university will send out some ethanol filled tubes in which to place a sample of tongue. These can be stored until you have a number of samples and then sent to the Uni for DNA investigation.

Marianne would particularly appreciate samples from the south and west of England. So anyone that is serious about assisting please P.M. me and i'll forward you her address.

Marianne
Queen’s University Belfast
PhD funded by the Department of Employment in Northern Ireland.

A previous piece of research at Queens University Belfast found several muntjac from the Theford area to be Muntiacus reevesi micrurus, the Taiwanese subspecies, and not Muntiacus reevesi reevesi, the Chinese subspecies, as previously thought. To investigate this further we plan to collect samples of muntjac DNA from as many localities as possible in the UK and Ireland. By using markers developed to discriminate between M.r. reevesi and M. r. micrurus, the genetic variability of M. reevesi will be analysed. This study hopes to determine the distribution of these subspecies in the UK and Ireland and will help elucidate the invasion history of muntjac in the British Isles.

Rem

Were will the information go Martin Research in the past has been used against us with the Basc RTA stuff going to the DI AND THE DCS useing it to try and get legislation making most of us illegal. Just a though to who will have access and who is funding the reaseach

I've already sent her 24 samples from Suffolk and Norfolk (Mainly the Thetford area). I hope she publishes the results - she sent me an email saying that she would let me know but I'm not sure when her research is complete? I thought she had finished collecting. I'm happy to do more but I ran out of sample bottles!:D
MS:)

I have sent in several samples, all pretty straightforward. Did a similar thing a few years ago collecting park fallow samples for DNA testing, something to do with Tasmania if I remember correctly. JC

Heard they've got Muntjac over in the emerald isle now, perhaps they're trying to find out how they got there by tracking down where they came from in England by comparing the DNA from their specimens with ours?

Were will the information go Martin Research in the past has been used against us with the Basc RTA stuff going to the DI AND THE DCS useing it to try and get legislation making most of us illegal. Just a though to who will have access and who is funding the reaseach

I understand the concern but providing the information is used in a neutral way it can only help. No one can dispute facts on numbers ,life style and movement so if we believe our own auguments we should have nothing but support for something that can only back up our thoughts.

Mark

I've been assisting with this research for a short while and was wondering if other Muntjac stalkers would be willing to assist. It's really simply, (Date, Location (area name, six figure grid reference), sex and sample tube number.) The university will send out some ethanol filled tubes in which to place a sample of tongue. These can be stored until you have a number of samples and then sent to the Uni for DNA investigation.

Marianne would particularly appreciate samples from the south and west of England. So anyone that is serious about assisting please P.M. me and i'll forward you her address.

Marianne
Queen’s University Belfast
PhD funded by the Department of Employment in Northern Ireland.

A previous piece of research at Queens University Belfast found several muntjac from the Theford area to be Muntiacus reevesi micrurus, the Taiwanese subspecies, and not Muntiacus reevesi reevesi, the Chinese subspecies, as previously thought. To investigate this further we plan to collect samples of muntjac DNA from as many localities as possible in the UK and Ireland. By using markers developed to discriminate between M.r. reevesi and M. r. micrurus, the genetic variability of M. reevesi will be analysed. This study hopes to determine the distribution of these subspecies in the UK and Ireland and will help elucidate the invasion history of muntjac in the British Isles.

Rem

Please pm me any info.

Mark

Back