deer larder ,canada style!!

conibear

View attachment 2458
heres a picture of a successful moose hunt in 08,we also took a young mule deer.the moose was probably about 800#live.I shot it about a mile away from the road,in a clearcut,i dragged it to the truck with my atv.cut it in half and got it on the truck bed.then i drove it home and winched it up in to the hanging posts.in 2 halfs,then i quarter it with a battery recipricating saw and then skin it! then i leave it for a couple of days and then butcher it.each quarter weighs about 150#.moose meat is delicious meat with a big grain texture.
I shot the moose with a stainless tika in .300wm with a 180 grain nosler partion at 220 yards frontal shot.he was a yearling bull and he came in towards me as i was cow calling,but i think he new somethimg was up as he stopped at 220 and his ears pricked up when I decided to shoot before he took off.
In my area were only allowed to shoot yearlin moose,which is a shame, as id love to shoot a 10 point bull!
the day before i called in a 10 point to within 30 yards,pretty scary when you see him smashing the trees with his antlers and he thinks your a cow moose! he was huge!
thanks dan

Last edited:
what type of deer are the small ones hanging up?

I remember at an Eskimo guide's cabbin up pust Tuktuyuctuck in the arctic circle, he caught fish and just stuck them in to the snow outside his front door nose down and went out and grabed one when he needed it!

Dave

what type of deer are the small ones hanging up?

I remember at an Eskimo guide's cabbin up pust Tuktuyuctuck in the arctic circle, he caught fish and just stuck them in to the snow outside his front door nose down and went out and grabed one when he needed it!

Dave

it was a young mule deer buck! my wife was with me when we got it, which was rare these days as weve 3 kids now!

I love the fact that you can butcher outside. If we decorated our back gardens like that we would have some coffin dodging pasty faced vegan freak call the police. I saw many such sights in Newfoundland, and it made me pleased to know there are still some areas of the world left were communities still understand that something has to die before you get a burger.
Were you not a little worried you might get a bear visiting for an easy meal?

i do mine in the back garden, don't care about the neighbours they objected to me getting planning for a shed....
so now i do it of the tree. will post a picture of it tomorrow...
its not against the law and the plod cant do anything about it.

yes its good to be nice but why object to planning then ha ha

atb f

ps that beast is huge its leg probable weighs more than 5 of my roes ........

Were you not a little worried you might get a bear visiting for an easy meal?[/QUOTE]

hi there !

bears dont worry me too much! if they come to close to my camp or home or meat larder, then i deal with them !!
weve had wolves close to home and close to hunting camps as well!
very eerie when your sat around the camp fire after dark and you hear them howling!makes the hair on your neck stand on end!

weve had wolves close to home and close to hunting camps as well!
very eerie when your sat around the camp fire after dark and you hear them howling!makes the hair on your neck stand on end!

hi,

i bet thats an awesome feeling to know they are near to you, i would pay just for that. to be out there and hear the call of the wolf...

atb f.

Back