.204 barrel length and twist recommendations

force64

Hi

I am looking at getting a semi custom rifle made for vermin control in .204 calibre. Primarily foxes and long range rabbits. Aim to reload using 39gn Blitzking. Do not want too long a barrel as needs to have a mod fitted (over the barrel type). Will be shooting from a vehicle as well as walking around my permission.

Any recommendations for barrel length and twist rate?

Cheers

Andy

im running a 20" cooper barrel in a custome built .20 tac

the barrel is a 1/12 twist on a .20 tactical and its working very well. furthest fox is 337 yards with a 40gr Vmax.

just about the run some tests with the 32 gr and they will be tramping on,

bob.

My partner's 20 TAC is barreled with a 1:12 as well but 22" in length. He is an ex-Marine marksmanship instructor and watching him shoot that rifle over wind swept prairies is like a magician's show. Watched him take a prairiedog -which is a truly pint sized target- with one shot at 467 yards off of a loose rest, through an area that had at least three wind convergences. 5mm's are neat.~Muir

I am shooting a 20br with a 1 in 11 twist pac nor.It shoots 39gr blitzkings into tiny little groups i had it put together buy neil mckilop who is based in reading which is not a million miles away from you he is worth having a chat to.He has built a few 20cal rifles for lads i know and they all have been super accurate.
ATB SEAN

Last edited:
I am shooting a 20br with a 1 in 11 twist pac nor.It shoots 39gr blitzkings into tiny little groups i had it put together buy neil mckilop who is based in reading which is not a million miles away from you he is worth having a chat to.He has built a few 20cal rifles for lads i know and they all have been super accurate.
ATB SEAN

he also built my custome .20 tac mentioned above.

bob.

and my 20 tac. 26" 1in11 barell, but its getting the chop soon!!! - Neil is a true gent and does an excellent job for very good money

Thanks all

On order is a border barrel 1:11 twist, 22" long and will be a 20BR on a Sako 75 action and McMillan stock. Yet to decide on the moderator.

Andy

If going with the 20br I would go with a 1-9 twist to allow the use of 50gr burger bullets. You will notice the difference at extended range in the wind, otherwise IMHO you are wasting powder over the .20Tac and .20 Practical rounds. I know some one who has a .20Tac shooting the burgers in a 1-9 built by mr mckillop that shoots a dream. My personal rifle is a .20tac in 1-11 twist at tiny 20" but i'm running a 15" muzzle mounted mod. Sounds like a HMR!!!

If you are building a walk around gun have a look at the MAE moderators formerly PES. The muzzle mounted mods are by far the best sound suppresors.

Back