Where Are the Red Stags Just Now

jamross65

Going up to the banks of Loch Tay on Tuesday coming to try and shoot some stags for friends up there. Anyone in that neck of the woods who can tell me if they are still out on the tops or are they starting to migrate to some of the lower ground? I know it's still early in the season but when out this morning walking dogs there was a real nip in the wind. No flies out etc. I know its a bit of a vague question. Just curious and wondering if perhaps I should leave it for a month or so when I know they will be down.

Hoping they are going to make it easy for me!:lol:

J,

imho, Deer are wild animals mate so go and have a walk.
no matter what we all think there, (the whole species) will always be one that wont do what its SUPPOSED to do.
If you put in the man hours the rewards are brilliant.

atb mate and good luck.

f.

Just to explain: unfortunately only a small piece of the ground is high ground. The majority of it runs along the lower reaches of the hills next to the Loch. If they don't happen to be on this small strip it's a wasted journey, unless of course they are starting to move to lower ground. Hence the question. The work and man hours don't bother me but It's a long way to go on the off chance that they may be there when there is plenty to be doing on my doorstep.

Just to explain: unfortunately only a small piece of the ground is high ground. The majority of it runs along the lower reaches of the hills next to the Loch. If they don't happen to be on this small strip it's a wasted journey, unless of course they are starting to move to lower ground. Hence the question. The work and man hours don't bother me but It's a long way to go on the off chance that they may be there when there is plenty to be doing on my doorstep.

hi,

Noted, i agree that the cost over likelihood is a big factor.
personally i had to make a similar decision recently in regards to the roe buck.
I see everywhere the ruts over the deer are away not till September now etc etc.
however two and a half hour drive over with and three hours stalking/highseat patience two roe bucks in the fridge....

imho there is always one whom will never conform to what should happen. Noted the reds may differ slightly as too may your ground.
i just love to stalk and its not always about coming home with the deer, but it helps lol

f.

deer still high getting away from flies. They're moving down at night and back up at dawn , first light your best bet although they've had a bit of a pasting last season so will be thinner on the ground.

Ther's one in the back of my 4X4 just now ;) I can't claim the honour of shooting it but it was taken off my ground, a forestry block.

John

deer still high getting away from flies. They're moving down at night and back up at dawn , first light your best bet although they've had a bit of a pasting last season so will be thinner on the ground.

Cheers for that. I thought the lack of flies here on the low ground (still 700ft above) meant they may be well on the way out up that way. Guess it is going to be a very early start then:zzz:

Need to stop at Aberfeldy and order new breeks from Haggarts so that will be done on the way home I guess.

Went up yesterday. I never saw anything except Roe. My mate saw 4 young staggies. Very still day, lots of flies about.

I should have checked the expiry date on my bottle of Mossi-guard, did I pay the price!!!:doh:

Went up yesterday. I never saw anything except Roe. My mate saw 4 young staggies. Very still day, lots of flies about.

I should have checked the expiry date on my bottle of Mossi-guard, did I pay the price!!!:doh:

Just over the hill from you there and they are still on the tops, will stay like that pretty much till the Stags break a couple of weeks yet, I would expect.

Just over the hill from you there and they are still on the tops, will stay like that pretty much till the Stags break a couple of weeks yet, I would expect.

Thanks for that. We kind of thought we were a bit early. Got cold bout 9ish when we had a wee look with the lamp for a fox before we left. Hopefully not too long now.:D

In love with that part of the country though which makes the trip worthwhile whether we get a shot or not.

Only sad thing about going up now is the distinct lack of heather. The hills should be purple now instead of green.

Back