Looking for advice on next rifle for Fox etc

nthor

Hi,

I have several rifles some for target shooting and some for the field, I have just sold a .308 and will need to request a 1 for 1 or loose the slot (keen to keep the space). However I would like some views on a good cal to look at, I would want to cover Fox, Rabbbit and if something fits all include Roe.

I have at the moment the following:
.22 Rim 10/22
.17 HMR CZ 452
.243 (used mainly for Deer) REM 700
.308 (permission for Deer but used mainly on the range) Tikka T3

I know the .243 covers all for what I need but I fancy setting up a Fox rifle, any ideas,

thanks in advance

Nigel

I have a dedicated .223 Tikka M595 for Foxing / long range bunnies, but we also use .22-250's for the dual purpose role, obviously you will need to stick to your .243 below the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have just gone through the same thing as you and i opted for the .223 due to it being reasonably flat shooting and a cheap round to reload, aftyer that my choice would have been .22-250 and then .222 a close third. i also see that you also wanted to shoot rabbits with your new rifle??????

i have just gone through the same thing as you and i opted for the .223 due to it being reasonably flat shooting and a cheap round to reload, aftyer that my choice would have been .22-250 and then .222 a close third. i also see that you also wanted to shoot rabbits with your new rifle??????

just food for thought, just in case i missed something?

If I was you I would go for a .204. Balistics are better than .223 and it is a lovely round to shoot. Absolutely excellent fox round. Before you make up your mind take a look at Bruce Potts sporting rifle book, it is a mine of usefull information (£25 well spent in my mind)

D

my mate just got a ruger 204 so i did not want to copy him, i will say his shoots well, but its very loud as i found the other night he let one go when i was along side....poo it hurt. I see u live very close to me.

my mate just got a ruger 204 so i did not want to copy him, i will say his shoots well, but its very loud as i found the other night he let one go when i was along side....poo it hurt. I see u live very close to me.

You defo need a mod if shooting at night. I tried the 22•250 without the mod on during the day and I can't describe how loud it is. With the mod on its excellent.

Ive got a .22-250 Tikka M595 - and there happens to be 2 at A M Hobbs (wiltshire i think, have a look on google)

Can thoroughly reccomend them, trying to get the same rifle in 6.5x55!

Agree with the above, it is very antisocial without a moderator on but with one its great.

However to be honest i think when the barrel has had its day it will either become a .223 or a 6mmbr. The .22-250 seems to me to be a hell of a lot of rifle (bang and kick compared to a .222/.223) to be not allowed on deer so i mihgt go either way.

if your area will allow it .25-06, 75g V-Max 3700fps flat and very GOOD on MR/Mrs Fox crow's etc 120 or 117 for ALL British Deer.

I think i will go with .223, cheep to load may go for a Tikka or a Rem 700, thanks for the help

I think i will go with .223, cheep to load may go for a Tikka or a Rem 700, thanks for the help

One more push for the 22.250 :)....Negligible difference in reload costs and a lot more room for extra powder if you need it. Go on get the cannon.

................... not the best way to describe things, particularly when some flo's have trouble checking land for relative newbies.

Point taken FB...But compared to a 22 LR firing sub sonics, the 22.250 without a mod is a cannon from a noise perspective!!! Didnt suggest he take any buildings out with it.

Ive got a .22-250 Tikka M595 - and there happens to be 2 at A M Hobbs (wiltshire i think, have a look on google)

Can thoroughly reccomend them, trying to get the same rifle in 6.5x55!

Agree with the above, it is very antisocial without a moderator on but with one its great.

However to be honest i think when the barrel has had its day it will either become a .223 or a 6mmbr. The .22-250 seems to me to be a hell of a lot of rifle (bang and kick compared to a .222/.223) to be not allowed on deer so i mihgt go either way.

hi mate have it as a 6br will be nice. cant have it as a 223 as the bolt face is different. the m595 action is good to so would be bad if you got rid if it to have a 223.

i like 22/250 i think its a craclking foxing round. if you can get one with 1 in 12 twist you can push upto 63 grain rounds then. or you could have a 1 in 9 twist and push 75 grain bullets !

i wish roe was legal here for 22cf as 22/250 is more then upto the job

Last edited:
If you were not fussed about a repeater then a 6mmbr would be a great option .
I was so chose a 6x47lapua.

Surely, if you have a .243 then you already have a fox rifle. I'd be taking that out as your "one for all" rifle.

Just a thought.

DC

Back