Locations for viewing the Red Deer rut on Exmoor

badsworth

Can anyone offer any suggestions for locations from which to VIEW (only) the Red Deer rut on Exmoor this Sept/Oct?

I am going to be staying for a few days and my wife has asked if we can find a location to view the RD during the rut (probably influenced by 'Autumnwatch'). I don't have any permissions there so will not be taking my rifle but I do want to encourage her interest.

Can anyone help please? Specific locations if possible because I don't know the area.

Badsworth

Hi lads, saw a small parcel of hinds regularlyl last week in the afternoons, a mile south of Wheddon Cross on the East facing hill (when the sun was shining). Had a great week with the family at Luckyard Farm.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for locations from which to VIEW (only) the Red Deer rut on Exmoor this Sept/Oct?

More likely to be middle(ish) to late October than September for the activity to peak I think - weather will play a part of course, and it does tend to be a bit mild down here. ;)

Found this route - although I'm not too familiar with that part of the moor. http://www.bbccountryfilemagazine.com/route/exmoor

Holnicote Estate (NT) on the northern slope of Dunkery and the woodland edges around Horner are good spots.

Back