Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimming deer

Swimming deer

On the ferry crossing to Denmark on saterday night i met three Danes returning from a pidgeon shooting trip in England,one of them a pheasant keeper on an island off the coast of Denmark told me that they had released sika on the island,i asked how far it is to the mainland as i had read about the Brownsea island deer swimming across Poole harbour,he told me that during the Rut fallow deer swim the 800 metre crossing with ease.
    Whats the furthest we know deer to have swam????

Hi Nell.. Low tide you can almost walk from Brownsea to any of the 9 islands ( one is a sand bank ) as the harbour has an average depth of just 48cm much to the shock and horror of the weekend powerboat enthusiasts.

Ive been out on my jet ski trying to photograph/video a swimming sika but as yet with no luck.

You can regularly see the deer on the islands beeches..

Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

In the sixties they put red deer on Taransay on the west coast of Scotland, they swam of. Also the deer that were put on the Island of Stroma in the Pentland Firth between mainland Scotland and Orkney swam back to the mainland.
    I've seen deer swim from the south side of Loch Monar to the north side, I thought they were otters until we came up close, we had the farrier onboard to shoe the ponies.

I was fishing on a rocky point in the Bristol Channel a few years back (12m high tides can run at several knots) and we watched in amazement as a roe buck made his way across the current around the headland towards us finally climbing up on the beach about 30 yards away and merrily trotting off into the woods.

We'd no idea how long it had been in there or how far it had come, but a few minutes later the Portishead inshore lifeboat came over to us and asked us if we'd seen a deer! As there were no houses immediately adjacent to where we were fishing it must have been spotted some way off and reported to the lifeboat. I can only assume it had been chased by a dog or something and took to the water. Until that time I had no appreciation about how strong they really swim.

It would have been interesting if the lifeboat had got there earlier - I'm sure them trying to 'rescue' a roe buck and pull it, complete with spikey antlers, into a rigid inflatable boat could have been a spectacle!

Last edited by csl; 31-08-2010 at 08:50.

A mate of mine who was a charter boat skipper once came across an 8 point sika stag swimming strongly 3 miles off swanage back in the early 90s.

I have read several pieces written from the USA of deer swimming across lakes etc. but not many here, although i have seen photo's from Meoble of red deer swimming in the sea loch. It's normally the RSPCA who say deer were "chased into the water by uncontrolled dogs" rather than attributing the deer with the ability to swim well and the knowledge that they can and do swim both for food and sex.

I live very close to the river Avon which is quite deep as it is navigable by boats (known locally as the Birmingham navy) and have been fortunate to see fallow, roe and muntjac swimming across it.

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Ive seen several dark brown things 'swimming' in the Mersey, Not sure what species they are though

I have an old deerstalking book published in 1925. In it is an account of a wounded Red Stag, which was being chased by two deerhounds, plunging into Loch Ness just below Urquhart Castle. One hound turned back when the water got deep but the older hound followed the Stag right over the loch and killed it some 500 yards from the far bank. The loch is a good mile across at that point. The hound was called Morag Luath which can translate from Gaelic as Speedy Sarah and used to belong to my Great Grandfather but he gave her away as she couldnt be broken from coursing "cold deer". David

Good to see you back David.

Hope all is well

I once saw a herd of (I think) Fallow swimming across Wimbleball. It was long before I got into stalking so I might be wrong about them being Fallow. My pal and me couldn't work out what they were to start with so we motored to within a safe distance to get a look. There were loads of them, including young. They scrambled up the bank like wildebeest in a nature documentary.

It was one of the best things I've ever seen while fishing.