Lyman 'M' dies

Ok I am behind. I don't have a mould for the 303 I was using 205 grain GC fro Colin Billet of Custom bullets. I brought my last lot about 7 years ago now and have few left.. Now Muir that 0.364" mould might work in my Husqvarna and after all it has over sized grooves at 0.370".

As to the Privi's nope but S&B do a nice 286 Grain RN and yes i have shot some of those but not at game.

Oh I brought one of those lee diea a while back but have not even opened it's box yet.

Yes Muir I only use the one cone when necking 9.3mm. I haven't used the PRVI bullets as they aren't imported into this country in this calibre only in the lesser calibres.

Great shame about the NEI mold, it's what puts me off ordering one myself. I did express interest in a group buy on the cast boolits website. The problem with that one was the time this project was taking, projected build date 6 months ahead. I am much tempted to order a custom mold from Lee or perhaps try to organise a group buy as I have noticed several shooters on a French internet site are also interested in such a mold, I think Lee are missing something here.

I was thinking of asking Lee to make an enlarged version of their .338 mold with the appropriate gascheck shank. A 6 cavity version is $52 after the $150 set up fee: all molds thereafter are just the $52 cost of the mold. I'm still thinking on that one....~Muir

Ok I am behind. I don't have a mould for the 303 I was using 205 grain GC fro Colin Billet of Custom bullets. I brought my last lot about 7 years ago now and have few left.. Now Muir that 0.364" mould might work in my Husqvarna and after all it has over sized grooves at 0.370".

As to the Privi's nope but S&B do a nice 286 Grain RN and yes i have shot some of those but not at game.

Oh I brought one of those lee diea a while back but have not even opened it's box yet.

I'll bring that mold over for you next winter. I use it for a paper weight.~Muir

$52 for a six cavity mold after the set up fees, that would be an absolute bargain even after paying various import charges and postage (twice - after Royal Mail).

I'm starting to become a real convert to cast bullets. Last night I went to the range with a box of 8x57 ammo loaded with 175grn cast bullets over various loadings of red dot. My O/U rifle at 50M was shooting most of the loads into virtually a single hole but showed a preference for 15 grns. Recoil was obviously light but with sufficient inertia to reset the second barrel. At 100 yds three shot groups ran about about 2", not too shabby when you look at how rough my casting is and the low mag scope I was using in low light. If only I could develop a load using this bullet and get a reasonable convergence of the barrels that would be just magic. It's cheap practise that doesn't knock the rifle about and is easy on the barrels.

Now I am absolutely determined to get a mold for the 9.3 and see if I can get similar results with that. To me the enjoyment isn't in using such guns occasionally, but in using them regularly and that is only really affordable using cast bullets. It will take an awful lot of cast bullets to wear these rifles out but I don't mind giving it a try. I shall of course use "proper" bullets on occasion.

Ah! A wise man! I shoot practice rounds loaded with lead all the time. This constant and inexpensive "trigger time" makes for supreme confidence in the field. It is absolute tripe that you need to practice with full powder loads: sight alignment and trigger control are what matters... especially with modern rifles that have a reasonable point-blank range. (Trajectory Window)

Red Dot is a great powder for cast lead. One of the directors for the Cast Bullet Association (US) wrote a fine article on that he calls "The Load" which basically says that in any rifle of roughly 30-06 capacity, 14 grains of Red Dot will always work, with any bullet weight. I have used it in my Springfield 03-A3 National Match with good results but not as good as 18.5 grains of Accurate Arms 5744 (very similar to IMR 4198) which will deliver groups as tight as I can hold. I shoot out to 200M using this load and have gone out on rock busting expeditions (shooting rocks in a box-canyon in Cuba, New Mexico) out to 400M with such loads. You learn a lot about trajectory and wind drift shooting such loads.

Yes, $52 is a good price but that is only for the blocks. Six Cavity Commercial handles are about $23 US. My custom 6 cavity .303 mold from Lee will make a HECK of a lot of bullets in a hurry. Once hot, and allowing a slight extension of time in between casts to adequately cool the extra bulk of the mold- I can still make about 180 bullets an hour. Of course, I just fill a different mold (s) between filling the 6 cavity. You can go through a 20 pound pot of alloy in short order.

You know? That mold I tried to send you is still sitting on the shelf in my loading room, unused. If you want to PM me your address again, I'll take another stab at it. It's your mold and I have an identical one of my own that I have yet to use... in fact, I'd about forgotten about that mold (mine) entirely. I am willing to give it a shot as the Feds seem to have lightened up a bit with regards to what are really terrorist tools. If I get that 9.3 going with Lee (after I pay for the kids wedding) I'll be able to pick up the molds for standard cost anytime. If the 8mm Karabiner mold makes it, I can get you a 9.3 at some point. The 9.3mm, like so many other fine cartridges, is a natural for cast bullets. There are some that I never shoot jacketed bullets in, such as 30-30, 32 Winchester, 25-20, 30-40, 45-70, etal. No point in it.

Sorry your hunting situations are curtailed with that double gun of yours. Killing a deer with a home cast bullet is so very satisfying.~Muir

Last edited:
Back