Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fate

After recently seeing a couple of fallow prickets on one of my perms i decided to try my luck for them and have a relaxing evening sat in the highseat.
    As i approached the farm something in my head was telling me not to go there and go to a different farm a few miles away which was very strange as i havent seen a deer there for ages well apart from the odd fallow doe with her young.
    I parked up and went to open the door and again thougt to myself i shouldnt be here i need to go to another area [weird] so i thought what the hell just go with it and i duly arrived at farm b and parked up.
    Kit sorted i started the four field walk to the highseat that overlooked a small field of pasture that was sown the end of last summer all the time thinking what on earth am i doing here with no deer showing when i know there are deer at farm A.
    Climbing into the highseat i made myself comfortable loaded the rifle and sat watching a couple of pheasants going about there buisness and an early barn owl swoop down from his unseen vantage point and bag himself a mouse, well at least one of us had got lucky.
    After the obligatory ten minutes to let things settle down i picked up the binnos for the first scan and imediately spotted something by the fence it was a very young fallow buck with its leg caught up in some stock fencing.
    Decision do i shoot it and put it out of its misery and distress or do i try to free it and let him take his chances i decided on the latter and decended the ladder and walked the 150 yards to the distressed animal
    As i aproached i could clearly see the poor chap was well and truly caught up and it wasnt going to be as straight forward a task to free him as i had first thought and getting to about 20 yards the poor fella went nuts trying to escape.
    I backed off imediately to 50 yards and he callmed down and just stood there exausted i have shot a few deer in my time but i dont like to see animals suffer so it was safety off and a calm steady shot to the bioler room for an instant dispatch.

Green bottle flies that i had to physicaly knock off with my gloves

Rifle made safe i then tried to free the dead deer from the fence but no way could i budge it so i removed the trapped leg at the joint and continued with the grallock then it was back to the truck to get a set of pliers and it still took ten minutes to free it.

There was a loose 3inch loop of wire and his leg had gone write threw the loop then the deer had jumped back over the fence totaly ensnairing himself.

Well all in all quite an eventful evening i still dont know if i believe in fate but something was sure telling me to go to that location and not the other [spooky stuff eh ]

I am am off down the shops now to do the lottery

Good job done there matey. Poor wee thing.

You made the right choice there, it looks like the skin is parted all the way around the leg which would almost certainly have resulted in the lower portion going gangrenous and rotten. Good call!

Nice one Jon..

Its not nice to see one thats so badly injured and tangled like that..

Good job done mate, was meant to be

Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Funny how you get those gut reactions sometimes,good result you've saved a lot of suffering there mate.

Done this a couple of times myself.
    I used to wonder what the chances of the beast making a recovery once released were. My guess is once you skin the deer the answer will be clear. The ones I have shot the removed have normally been in a terrible state inside. Most of the trapped leg is ruined and severely bruised, in one case the dis located at the hip. A good call in my opinion too Rick.

good call and well done, fate has a way of doing that mate so take it as it was meant to be.
    looking at the leg even if you freed him the shock and possible internal injuries would have meant a bad and long death.
    who ever thinks we are not compassionate people should have a long long look at this.
    well done and i hope fate returns the favour with a nice big buck later in the season mate

atb f.

Well done, whether it was luck or fate you were in the right place at the time.

It`s always a shame to see and hear about deer hanging on stock fencing like that, so good on you for going on your gut instinct to go to ground B. How long would that poor fallow had to suffer had you not gone and sorted the situation.?

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by buckup View Post
    I used to wonder what the chances of the beast making a recovery once released were.
    From what I have seen and read, deer stand a small chance of surviving a fractured leg that may or may not be an open fracture. There is a pic in my Gallery of a healed fracture that was probably not open or not very open (i.e. the skin and flesh held the two ends sort of together long enough to fuse):

There are also plenty of cases of what were probably open fractures (i.e. leg dangling by a bit of skin and bone stabbing out) resulting in the lower portion of the limb dropping off and the stump healing over.

I'm no vet but, from what I've heard, the case in this thread is almost worse than both of these scenarios because the very thin layer of skin, flesh and blood vessels has been parted all around the bone but the lower section of the leg is still solidly connected as the bone is not fractured. The lower section of the leg no longer has any blood supply so it will wither and die. The exposed bone will dry out and probably succumb to some sort of infection even if it snaps off eventually and it will prevent the skin and flesh from healing over as it's poking out.

With deer and other similar animals the legs are so delicate due to the thin layer of flesh it's like girdling a tree. If you cut a strip of bark all around the trunk the tree will die because the all the nutrients flow through the outermost layers beneath the bark.

A horrible injury and the way fences are designed it's almost inevitable really.

Last edited by csl; 05-09-2010 at 18:53.