Truck Deer Carrier Surspended Grolloch

stalkerboydy

Carrier fitted to tow bar
05092010472.jpg
Take exstending pole slot into box holder, exstend pole to Deer hight, fit pully and Gambril hoist Deer perform grolloch, dismantle put Deer in carrier job done
05092010473.jpg

It does not look very high and the carrier is only any use for off road as it would illegal to use the carrier on the road, construction and use regs

What about some of these tow ball monuted bike racks, do they fall foul of con and use as well?

John

What rules forbid its use on the road? Not having a dig, rather just interested. I thought that the only rule was if it's more than a certain distance from the vehicle (.9 metres is sticking in my head for some reason?) and even then it's ok if it has lights/reflectors etc? That's to my knowledge anyway. I think it looks like a great idea if your car is a bit too tidy to just lob them in the boot!

I'd like to see the look on the faces of the bus full of anti's following down the road when you got five Fallow piled up in there :lol::lol:

It does not look very high and the carrier is only any use for off road as it would illegal to use the carrier on the road, construction and use regs

what is your problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's Road legal. I TRAVEL for 1-1/4hr to my stalking in fact the last two trip i went up an down the A1??????? not a problem if you dont like it your choice. As stated before NO blood or crap in your Truck. And i have only been doing this run for 15yrs, not goner brag about the numbers of Deer ive shot an carried useing this method on main road's but guess what NEVER bin stopped. you anit related to Mr Sing are you :cuckoo:

"AND" :confused: I made a quad surspened grolloch system years ago, not long after showing a Stalker it guess what David Stretton (donnington park) was selling them. i am lucky in that im a welder, all i was trying to do was share idea's with fellow stalker's, i no fact without either system i would not have been able to cull and recover the Deer i have fact. If you dont like something fine no worry's. Perhaps you never saw my pup first of the season post, i really struggled to recover an grolloch those Fallow :rolleyes:

what is your problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's Road legal. I TRAVEL for 1-1/4hr to my stalking in fact the last two trip i went up an down the A1??????? not a problem if you dont like it your choice. As stated before NO blood or crap in your Truck. And i have only been doing this run for 15yrs, not goner brag about the numbers of Deer ive shot an carried useing this method on main road's but guess what NEVER bin stopped. you anit related to Mr Sing are you :cuckoo:

I think you will find if you are stopped by an officer who is familiar with the rules that it may very well not be road legal!
May I suggest that you should also look in the vehicle hand book where often there is quoted a maximum down weight that can be applied to the ball hitch or rear of the vehicle . Exceeding this weight can have an effect on the road holding dynamics of the vehicle. Should you have an accident as a result of driving on the roads your insurance may also be invalidated in addition to any charges you could face under the road traffic act.

I agree it's a bit of a minefield, but that's why tow bars and the like should be type approved now and why only new purpose built tow bars can be fitted to cars.

Yes I do know before any one says anything that you often see cars overloaded with bike carriers and the like regularly driving down the road and they never seem to get pulled.

Last edited:
That is a good idea that, bit like the collapsable bull bars on a land rover.

Do you wrap the deer when on the main road?

I would think they would be pretty grotty after a motorway run on a crappy winter day

There are loads of things that are technically illegal but not enforced. Fog lights on with sidelights (when its not foggy), mobile phones whilst driving, speed limits on rural roads, foreign drivers with incorrect licences, no insurance, overtaking on solid white lines, entering yellow hatched areas, dodgy number plates etc. Basically, if it can't be enforced by a camera or ANPR system then you will get away with it. Now that the Police are facing massive cuts in funding this will only get worse (or better if you are one of the bad guys!) JC

It depends a bit on where you live as to how long you get away with it. Where I live the police are pretty hot on all these things. In fact a couple of years ago they ran a campaign of pulling over drivers with cycle carriers obscuring number plates and lights. They recently ran another with regard to unnecessary use of fog lights, funny how all the boy racers seem to like their fog light.

Thanks for all your interest an replys :thumb: I have do to my welding built numerous plant, trailer adoptions and lorry modifications, the only thing which is NOT legal (if you really want to nit pick) my number plate right colors but it is painted. If i felt i was going to travel into a sensitive area yes i use a tarp an bungee ropes. As stated i use the truck system at the beginning of the season as fields get ploughed i then use my Quad. In the past shooting one Deer Fallow or Red was hard work in the recovery, and at times i had to leave chances now its easy and with both system's i can do a suspended field grolloch, from Munties to Big Red's game on not a problem to me being on my own. Was only trying to pass on tips, just think when ur next on ur own and a safe shot is on say 200yrd out in a rough muddy FIELD I wont hesitate. will you when face with the Drag!!!!!!!! bin there done that not know more. Cheers ALL

As my brother said some people just don't want to be told and think they know best. Before he use to have to just shake his head and walk away. Now he just hands them over to the traffic coppers to do the necessary.

Budem zdorovy!

same as newbie :doh: :zzz:

I don’t think anyone is criticising your ingenuity stalkerboydy, only the pitfalls of legality of using it on the road. I notice elsewhere that another stalker was complaining about carrying a large fallow buck and I thought it was only me that have had this problem. In fact I’ve turned down the opportunity of taking deer once or twice previously because the difficulty in extracting them on my own.
I remember one occasion when I shot a large fallow buck and it went down over a near vertical bank only 20 yards off a hard ride. There was a soft ride just down below him but it was very muddy and I wouldn’t chance it in my two wheel drive estate car. I therefore decided to drag him up hill nearly busting a gut in the process. I landed up tying the dog lead to a tow rope to a short length of rope that I found just to tow him up the last 15 feet and over the lip of the bank after backing up the car as far as I dared. Mind you at one stage I nearly shot the dog after turning around and finding him dragging the deer in the other direction by a leg.

Good to see that you've finally realized the error of your ways Boydy. Its only taken 3 days and 3 different posters querying its legality and you jumping at anyone who dared to disagree with you,:banghead: but we've got there in the end.:D:rofl:

Budem zdorovy!

What, ur on a different planet to me, the only one jumping is "YOU" THREE post's av a look who's forcing the issue "YOU" Oh before i close i have two brother's guess what one of those does for a job ???????? A "Traffic Cop" :D whilst you like every body else is entitled to a oppion, please go and post some thing constructive else where or are you another who is springing up on here looking for a ruck???????????? have a annoying life. Oh have you done a intro about your self???????? :-|

;)

He must work on the premise that the best form of defence is to attack or bluster.:rolleyes:

Oh well.:zzz:

I like to work on the premise that we are on a level playing field. It is apparent that you are quite hot on pointing out what you see to be the error of their ways to people, so I think it only fair to point out yours, where is your introduction? it is a requirement of the site.

John

Back