bringing a rifle into Britain?

Steffen

if a foreigner were to hunt in Britain and wanted to bring a rifle.
i've heard that it can be problematic to bring large bores, and that it differs from place to place.
were should one draw the line if he wanted to bring it no matter where in Britain he was going?

.308 win?
.30-06?
.300 win mag?
8x57?
.338 win mag?
9,3x62?
.375 h&h mag?

On a related issue. Does anyone know how I would go about bringing a rifle back from Poland and how do I get it on my ticket?

Re gun into UK from overseas

Hi Craig,
No problem. I asked my local FAC dept in Kent for an additional .270win Savage Sierra permission which I had bought in Germany. They gave me a form filled out by them with the serial no etc details on it. I took this with me to my German shop collected the rifle and drove back to Dover customs gave me no problems and then informed the police with my cert included in the covering letter, 2 weeks later back it came all filled in. Job done.
Martin

Bringing a rifle into the uk to hunt.

If you belong to an EU country you should have an EU passport for your firearms. You will need a sponsor in the UK that you have booked hunting with. They will need to contact their county FA unit and ask for an application form for a Visitors FA or Shotgun permit.

This application form along with a further white paper form with other personal details on will need to be filled in and sent back with the original EU FA passport permit from the client. Once the police have this it will be returned with the Visitors FA/Shotgun permit and you can post it to the client.

For Americans and clients from a country that is not the EU, they will need to go through the same process, but not having a FA passport or FA certificate (the USA does not have either) they must produce evidence that they hunt in the country by producing a state hunting licence or membership of a hunting club to go along with their application.

All of this takes time and so you should allow about 8 weeks with most constabularies. Up to now I have had very little problem with Kent.

Hope this is of help

Last edited:
Great thanks, I'll get on to my local plod, and get all the information on the rifle and get it sorted,
though it may trun out to be easire to get it done RFD to RFD.

Each police force may vary on this issue.

Fife police take a max of 28 days to issue a visitors permit. They need the original EU pass or if from outside the EU they need a hunting licence from their country.

I had guns over from Texas this summer who had to get a letter from their local sherrif to vouch for them.

I've had stalkers bring 30-06 & 308 yet they wouldn't issue such a big calibre for a local stalker for Roe Deer in Fife.

Mark.

Back