scope mounting issues

Nick Fahey

I noticed my rifle scope was slightly loose. However, it was not any external screws but the screw that attached the lower part of the ring to the mount.
Anyway tightened everything up and remounted and now can't adjust far enough left to zero; i.e. with max dial for lhs it is still 8" right of bull.
I am probably doing something silly, but any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers
Nick

Last edited:
Nick
Did you check that the bases had not moved or are loose because this will allow the scope rings if not quite in line to move the bases on one side upwards to allow the scope to move one way as you tighten the clamp screws. Sikadog

( If this is unclear I do know what I mean )

Did you take it all off or just tighten the screw. If second may be distorting tube. if you took the scope off have you re-mounted it correctly? Was it OK before you noticed the loose screw did it suddenly loose zero?

D

Re mounts

Set the rifle up in a vice type holding device with the bore aimed just 25m distance at a visible point on a target.
Adjust reticle to centre on point as seen through the bore. Its just a start point.
I use also a 1 inch ground metal bar sourced from a toolroom as a dummy scope tube to make sure the two rings are axially aligned as you can use more force to move things around which scopes dont like done to them.
Martin

Hi Nick, is it a Leupold type ring/base? If so there are 2 screws, one on either side of the base that clamp each side of the ring. To adjust them you need to return the scope windage to centre and then bore-sight as Martin describes but loosen one side/tighten the opposite side of the base screws to move the entire scope in line with the bore, fine-tune when zeroing using the 'scope windage.

Have you adjusted the windage by centering the reticle and then adjusting the windage by moving the front base position fore aft?

Assuming this is on a Sako

Use Locktite. We all do:)

Yeah I agree! I should have mounted them myself, but the guy in the shop reccomended that he did it as he was the real pro and had all the gear. I would say less than 300 rounds through it and the scope is loose, pretty **** poor IMO.
At least it is the mounts not the scope!
Will get some loctite and give it another go.
Cheers
NF

Back