Muntjac in South Dorset

zazzydog

Has anyone shot a Muntjac in southern Dorset? There seems to be a lot of unsubstantiated sightings of the little furry blighters but I don't actually konw anyone who has one in their larder.

never seen muntys in dorset mainly sika and roe but i might be corrected on thhis but bare in mind the little blitters bread like rabbits
scotty

Has anyone shot a Muntjac in southern Dorset? There seems to be a lot of unsubstantiated sightings of the little furry blighters but I don't actually konw anyone who has one in their larder.

I've got some if you want them!:p
It's about time you paid another visit!

Hi Zazzydog,

There are good numbers just after Ringwood which is only 10 miles from Poole..

Any further South and youd be in a canoe..

Ive seen two on Arne which quite possibly were released and over to Lulworth i hear there are some..

ATB

Terry

Hi Guys,

:doh: Before this turns silly and like the big cat....:rolleyes:

Ive been on Arne for the last 30 years Viking850.. And it was a very generous RSPB fella that signed off 1 of my level 2 requirements.. Didnt charge a penny for any outings,deer shot or filling out my folder..

I was hoping to do the deer count this year but didnt..

I have no idea on sex as the busted Sika went into the forestry block and the Muntjac were out like scolded cats..

Arne is huge and divided by private farms/landowners.. depending on what access you have i guess would largely depend on how much you would see... obvious.. if your shooting one small bit of land (and im not saying you are) your overall picture might not be the same..

Zazzydog.. i dont shoot Lulworth and can only pass on what ive been told..

Why on earth would i want to dispute or discredit the claim from credible people just because i dont know someone personally with one hanging in their chiller... does that mean you want to call them liars..

Terry

Last edited:
Terry
My Appolagies i was absolutly not trying to discredit your observations in anyway whatsoever ,that was not my intentions ,I was merely interested in your observations,
I know from past experience that they have a tendency to spread and breed like rabbits if there are both sexes in the area

would be Good to have anouther quarry to stalk on Arne ,

No Lier's from my point of view, Just interested that's all

Hello bud,

No worries, didnt mean to come across in an unfriendly manner..:tiphat:

pm me when your down next and will meet up for a beer and a chat if you like..

Sure we will know some of the same faces

Terry

Zzazydog,

I have spent a bit of time down that way and heard of these mythical sightings of muntys and even thought that I have seen them myself only to realise just prior to pulling the trigger that they were black and white.

You would be supprized at dusk how much the siloutte of a bradge reasembles a munty

I too have heard of boar in that area the closest I have seen was some feral potbelly pigs in a place called highwood my mate smudge reaconed they tasted good

Terry
roger your last
I will be down for work party in october then for the start of the hind season can't wait

Hi all. I'm not trying to discredit anyone when they say they have seen munties but the only real proff is when they are hanging in the chiller. I'm fed up with roasted sika haunches that are too big for a family of 4 (2 young kids) whereas munties are the perfect size. I could alway buy a book on butchery or buy a DVD but an extra species would be nice.

Back