6.5x55 load data

snowz

i have done a search and it brought up a few previous threads but doesn't exactly answer my question.

what loads are you using in you 6.5x55 for deer and also fox, looked at 95gr vmax for fox and 140gr Berger for deer with N160 powder,

any other recipes that work,

will for either a Tikka or Sako 75 rifle(not made my mind up on which:confused:)

thanks Richard

I use one load for everything in my Sako Finnlight 75 as I do not want to re-zero. This is a load I have developed which is ok in my rifle, no pressure signs etc. Please start low and work up to your own load, all the normal caveats apply;

129gn Hornady SST
Lapua Brass
Federal Premium L/R Match Primer
46gn of N160

I played around with seating depths until I found a sweet spot and have concentrated on that. I am in the process of reworking the load because I am trying crimping the bullets in place. I have found that seating to the cannulure to allow crimping means I can reduce the OAL while still keeping the accuracy I found seating nearer the lands when not crimping.

ft

flytie

how do you find tha sst's perform on bigger beasts and what sort of fps are you getting?

steve

Steve, The SST's perform brilliantly on fallow, roe and munty (only one munty so far). I have had good even expansion with a good sized wound channel and exit. I have never had an explosion on impact or a failure to expand as some people attribute to plastic pointed bullets. I have noticed no more carcass damage than with Federal Powershok 140gns and much less internal blood blistering than with the RWS 140 gn hollow-points. They are also very accurate!

No fallow I have hit with an SST has gone more than 10yards, so far (touch wood etc.). I have borrowed a friends chrono and after setting up with a few shots, a measured and recorded 10 shot spread gave us an average of 2670fps out of my little finnlight.

I have not encountered any pressure signs with my load, and could possibly put even more powder behind the bullet but cannot see the point! One of the joys of the 6.5 is moderate recoil so why spoil it? Also after reading the ranges of bullet velocity recommended by Hornady for this bullet (1600fps - 3300fps) why bother?

ft

Having 2 different zeros wouldn't bother me as if im out stalking be zeroed for the deer round and wouldn't shoot a fox incase i disturb the deer in the area and same again if i took it out foxing i would have it zeroed in for that round and wouldn't be shooting deer at night.

i know the ballistics of my rifles and rounds so having 2 different zeros and having to alter between the 2 is pretty straight forward for me.

it is going to be a main rifle for stalking and occasional fox use, maybe in winter when winds are stronger and it has the legs over my 223.

atb Richard

Richard
After a fair bit of trial and error I settled on the following;
Lapua brass
Remington primer L/R
Vit n160 44gns
Hornady 140 gn sp

From Munty through to Reds does the job nicely. Used in a Tikka T3 lite.
regards
Mick

Hi Richard,

Pet load for my Sauer is
Lapua brass
Federal match primer
45grns. N160
Hornady 129grn Interlock
COL 3045

This load is used for deer and fox.

I did use a similar load last season using 120 Nosler BTip's, but I never felt comfortable using the BTip's so have moved back to sp's for my 6.5x55 and 30.06

ATB

Tom

so N160 is the one for these 6.5x55:lol:

I found N160 more easily available, and cheaper, than most of the others. I have loads that were given to me that used Varget, Reloader 22, Reloader19, and H4350. If you look in any reloading guide you will see many more, any of the medium slow powders will work.

ft

I've used Varget and RL19 in the 6.5x55. Both gave very accurate loads in my Tikka.

The only issue I found is that my rifle really didn't get on well with lighter bullets? Anything under 120grns really didn't seem that great and I tried a few. I suggest that you stick to one load. If you want to buck the wind the heavier for calibre bullets are what makes the 6.5 good. I used to use 130grn TSX or 140grn Speer soft points in mine and both would turn a Fox inside out without being anywhere near hot loads. Why complicate matters when there's no need?

My Sako 75 does well with Re22, Re19 and H4350 but loves N160.
I prefer to use bullets in the 120g -130g range as they are a good compromise for energy and trajectory.
I have found best accuracy in my rifle when using various 120g bullets at approx. 2900ft/sec and 129/130g bullets at approx. 2800ft/sec.
My pet load is......
Lapua brass
CCI Mag or Federal Match primers
N160 x 48g
Nosler 120g BT
Velocity....2920ft/sec.

Hornady 129 gr Interlock
Lapua brass
CCI or Federal LR primer
45 grains H4350

Found this to be very good and will deal with rutting Sika stags no problem at all.

John

cheers fellas, i've taken in all the info so far, just have to decide which rifle and then the load, looks like i defiantly know i will be using N160:lol:

Here's my reloading recipe for a 6.5x55 Tikka T3 Varmint SS:

Brass: Lapua
Primer: CCI 200 LR
Bullet: Lapua Mega 155grn
Powder: 42 grains VV n160
OAL: 76mm
Velocity: 790 m/s

Pic is of a 5 shot group, 4 touching and 1 flyer.

Attachments

• lapua+maga+group.jpg
    lapua+maga+group.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
37g Varget works well with mine

**WARNING*** THIS IS MY LOAD, IN MY RIFLE, I DO NOT HAVE PRESSURE SIGNS, START LOWER AND WORK UP.

Im using Federal or Lake City brass with 120 grain Pro Hunters, 49 grains of N160 ( rifle didnt like the smaller loads),CCI match primers. A very accurate load.....I used Varget but results werent as good. Swedes love slow burning powders.

Back