9.3x62

65X55

At first i fancied another 30.06 as i sold my old one years ago so i was gonna get a 3006 barrel for my sauer , however now come a cross a 9.3x62
sounds like a good round for big stuff so i would like your views on said round please
ranges accuracy etc

quarry
reds
boar
+ any big stuff i can afford in the future

many thanks 65x55

a highly rated round that will do 95% of a 375 H&H. Popular in Europe and was always very popular in Africa as it can be chambered in any mauser actioned rifle and did not need an expensive magnum mauser action which the 375 H&H did. Given that you have a 6.5x55 a 9.3x62 is probably a very good complimentary calibre. Challenge you may well have is getting the FLO to agree with you.

According to the Norma website - www.norma.cc:

9,3x62

German gunmaker, Otto Bock, designed this cartridge in 1905 as an all-around big game cartridge adequate for most hunting in German Colonies in Africa. He succeeded admirably and this chambering is still highly regarded there. Similar in performance to the 35 Whelen, the 9.3x62 is one of the most underrated chamberings in the US. This case has a slightly larger base than the "standard" Mauser but it readily chambers in standard-length actions; therefore, many thousands of moderately priced rifles have been chambered in 9.3x62. For many reasons this chambering was an instant success. Farmers all over Africa found it an ideal choice for use against antelope and similar species. Loaded with solids and in competent hands, it was occasionally used for taking the largest and most dangerous of African species. Most European rifle makers still chamber it. In Europe, it remains a popular chambering for hunting driven moose and wild boar. For much North American hunting, it is a fine choice for those who will keep their shots to under about 300 yards. For those preferring a mid-caliber chambering and who are not interested in long-range shooting, this is a good candidate for all-around hunting, worldwide. With practice, most shooters can learn to handle 9.3x62 recoil. With large heavy bullets delivering controlled and predictable expansion, it is a efficient killer on all but the largest of species. Handloaders combining modern propellants and pointed bullets, such as the 286-grain Nosler partition, who will zero their rifle at 200 yards can readily concoct accurate loads capable for shots on large game to about 300 yards by using a dead-on, center-of-kill-zone hold, which is as far as most hunters are comfortable shooting. With relatively modest velocity, 9.3x62 bullets typical damage surprisingly little meat, even on the smallest of species and even when the hunter makes a poor shot. The cartridge delivers surprisingly good accuracy.

we use them in sweden for the bear and moose, 3 shot semi autos, great round with fantastic stopping power.:thumb:

I have played with a few, including a BAR in Croatia last year. They are just magic. I have not taken a boar with one, but saw a few boar shot by other guys, they really slap a pig down, noticably faster than a 30/06. Recoil is not at all bad considering a 286gr bullet at around 2400fps, nice shove, not the nasty sharp recoil you get on a 300mag.

I really really want one....

I have a few friends in Sweden that use them,and are happy with them for Moose, when i was over in august i borrowed one off my friend to Pyrch with it was zeroed at 100mtr with a norma 220 grain I lobbed a round off att 150 mtr and the drop between 100-150 (hell of a kick mind)was amazing i'm glad i didn't get to shoot a Roe buck with it not sure what it would look like after one of those big ones in it LOL:lol::rolleyes:

Getting the 9.3 will be a fine if it's for use abroad but plod might condition it oddly with zeroing only here in the UK if you do so and you wont be allowed to get expanding ammo for it at first until you can get an open ticket that is. They probably will say no if the good reason is only large UK species because they class it as a 'dangerous game' calibre in the guidance (check it out in chaptet 13 on page 77).

Having said that, I hope you get it because the effort is worth it in the end and if you have a reasonable firearms team they will be fair.

ps.

I have a .375 for Europe and once I come back from Bulgaria this Dec I'm putting in for the variation so I can use it on large deer because my good reason for being granted initially has been evidenced. That's after advice from Colin Sheddon at BASC when they were being funny about giving me an open cert with the variation for the .375

Last edited:
It might be better to classify it as a calibre that is suitable for, amongst other things, dangerous game - no reason why it shouldn't be used on deer, boar etc here in the UK just as it is in the rest of Europe.

Firearms Departments get too hung up on using that listing prescriptively and classifying calibres as only for use on the species that are shown in the sections ticked. Some of the more enlightened ones will apply a bit of common and appreciate that having satisfied the 'good reason to possess' with a primary species, then there is no basis in not allowing it for others. Exactly the same reasoning should be applied that allows us to use our deer legal .308 for boar, fox, feral goat, sheep, vermin, etc., or if you are lucky, 'any other lawful quarry'.

I noticed it was classed as a DG cartridge in the Home Office notes. This is rubbish as it is not even DG legal in most jurisdictions, except possibly Zimbabwe. I have read though that it is quite capable up to Buff sized game.

What it is really, is the ultimate Euro piggy cartridge for driven hunting - in a bolt gun.

Getting the 9.3 will be a fine if it's for use abroad but plod might condition it oddly with zeroing only here in the UK if you do so and you wont be allowed to get expanding ammo for it at first until you can get an open ticket that is.

Sorry for the OT question, but are there any legal problems buying expanding ammunition with a UK FAC while abroad?

The reason I ask is that I'm sure I read somewhere that only German residents could buy ammunition in Germany. Perhaps there are similar restrictions elsewhere?

Last edited:
I noticed it was classed as a DG cartridge in the Home Office notes. This is rubbish as it is not even DG legal in most jurisdictions, except possibly Zimbabwe. I have read though that it is quite capable up to Buff sized game.

What it is really, is the ultimate Euro piggy cartridge for driven hunting - in a bolt gun.

That's exactly the kind of information that anyone who is having problems in getting a 9.3x62 approved for use on UK deer, boar etc. should present to their Firearms Licensing Department. :thumb:

Is there a central source of info or a web link on which countries won't recognise or allow it for DG? It might help someone to make a case for UK use.

I have a few friends in Sweden that use them,and are happy with them for Moose, when i was over in august i borrowed one off my friend to Pyrch with it was zeroed at 100mtr with a norma 220 grain I lobbed a round off att 150 mtr and the drop between 100-150 (hell of a kick mind)was amazing i'm glad i didn't get to shoot a Roe buck with it not sure what it would look like after one of those big ones in it LOL:lol::rolleyes:

Now this surprised me :eek: I don't have a 9.3x62 but do have a 9.3x57 and was surprised how flat it shot. Just after acquiring the loading dies and some bullets which took nearly a year to obtain I loaded up various recipes and toddled off to a clubs range day. Now i wanted 100 yards to see whe this was shootign and what it ould group like. But no they wanted 200 and 300 yards :rolleyes: so I was lumbered. I had loaded some 180 Gn RN jacketed that Norman Clark had made, 235 grain Norma semi spitzers, 246 Grain RWS cone Points, 270 grain Speer semi spitzers and some 286 Grain S&B RN and got a giggle some 193 grain Flat point S7B bullets.

I fired them all at the same fig 11 target ( charging man as we were on Ash #4) using the same POI with no scope adjustments and all bullets were inside a 6" circle. Quite amazing when there was nearly 100 grains of weight difference in the spread. Moved back to 300 yards and did the same again. This time the 286 grain bullet dropped out of the main group by about 3" but the rest made an elongated oval composite group of about 8" with the 286 Grn RN bullets a bit below it.. Now that it quite flat for such a large and heavy bullet. now it's back on my ticket for shooting again I will start again with load development but with cast this time due to the stupidity of the expandig bullet fiasco :evil: .

Don't know much about 9.3mm ammo being available abroad but I was under the impression that it was a 'reloaders' calibre because of limited commercial ammo choices in 9.3's??

.375 h&h is a lot cheaper to feed and certainly easy enough to get hold of in most large game & DG locations abroad.

9.3x62 is very popular here in Sweden. Not to many years ago you could hardly give one away but with a growing boar population it has made a come back.
The new Sauer 303 semi auto can now be had in 9.3x62. a very nice looking piece of kit.
Plenty of 9.3 ammo in the gunshops.
I,m still thinking about getting the 9.3 barrel for the M03

I second that. Im, at last going to order a 9.3 barrel for my blaser. Much more instant knock down on boar!

Back