Leica LRF 900 rangefinders - Any good in the field?

mel

I have ben offered a pair of Leica LRF 900 scan rangefinders for £150 which I am keen on purchasing but thought I would check with you knowledgeable chaps first.

Anyone got any good or bad things to say about the use of them in the field? Are they hardy enough to withstand the wet and cold?

Mel

I've been using and abusing the 1200m non-scanning version for several years now and it has never let me down. JC

as long as its working properly you should have no problems; they are an excellent bit of kit.

Mel

Go for it! I've been using one of the Leica Rangefinders and find it reliable and robust (I dropped it from the highseat!).

willie_gunn

thats a bargain of a price, i paid 200 for a 1200lrf and thought i was doing well! they usually go for more than that. i have found it to be a really robust piece of kit and the lens works well in low light.

i have the 900 scan the optics are very good. not as good as a good set on bino's but more then good enough to ave a quick look about if you dont want to carry bino's about.

it ranges super fast and can be used at night in lamp light. the red display is a bonus as you wouldnt see a black display at night.

snap it up before its gone and make sure you use a good battery in it

I have ben offered a pair of Leica LRF 900 scan rangefinders for £150 which I am keen on purchasing but thought I would check with you knowledgeable chaps first.

Anyone got any good or bad things to say about the use of them in the field? Are they hardy enough to withstand the wet and cold?

Mel

When you said a pair of rangefinders, I thought you meant two of them :oops: I was going to ask if I could by the second ones from you :oops::oops::coat:

ft

Edit; I am really quite interested in a Leica rangefinder so decided to have a look at prices. The cheapest I can find one in the UK is £359.00 + p&p. On the WWW I found this one; http://cgi.ebay.com/Leica-CRF-900-L...513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c14cd1789

Which works out, complete with postage, to £339.46. Possibly less with an accurate exchange rate.

How can it be cheaper to ship it to the USA and market it there, than to sell it in europe where it is made? Rip off Britain????

ft

Last edited:
Had a Leica LRF 900 scan for years now. Replaced the battery a time or two, got it soaked and filthy on lots of occasions and its still spot on.
Can be uncomfortable to lie on as you are taking a prone shot though!.
Sounds cheap to me. Buy it.
S.

Excellent kit I have the 900 model and they never let me down. None of the range finders are good in fog or mist and rain makes them play up a bit but other than that at £150 they're a steal. Are the black or green? I think the green bodied ones are the later version of the box type but I could be wrong.

Back