Crown damage

AJWH

i was letting a friend of mine, who is new to rifles, help me clean mine the other day. i told him to push the wire brush through a few times as you would a shotgun but not pull it back through. stupidly, my attention then turned to the computer screen for the next few minutes and said friend cleans his shotgun barrels from the muzzle :doh:. Can anyone tell me if this may have damaged the crown enough to affect accuracy?

Alex

Unless you barrel is made of putty I doubt it. It would take a bit more than a few rubs to do any wear is my thought.

As BH says, its doubtful just once.

I alsways clean in the direction of bullet travel and never retract brush or jag. - unscrew at muzzle, the retract rod and re attach.

thanks for the comments, thats the way the barrel usualy gets treated redmist so i'm hopeful she'll still spit out 1/2 inch groups for me :)
Alex

I have seen this type of thread quite a few times and of course it is imperative to protect this area but a bronze brush with a similar type material as the centre core is very unlikely to cause any damage. Brushes with a steel core may scratch. I like the hard nylon ones taht are available.

Read Jackson Rifles comments on cleaning methods for instance.

Barrel steel is reasonably tough and i think there is a bit of scaremongering involved in this subject.

Of course, there is a simple solution. Go shoot it and see... but only in the frame of mind that says it really is, most likely, just fine :)

i was letting a friend of mine, who is new to rifles, help me clean mine the other day. i told him to push the wire brush through a few times as you would a shotgun but not pull it back through. stupidly, my attention then turned to the computer screen for the next few minutes and said friend cleans his shotgun barrels from the muzzle :doh:. Can anyone tell me if this may have damaged the crown enough to affect accuracy?

Alex
Just to help with setting your mind to rest on this subject, this rifle still shoots "Bugholes" & accounts for many foxes during a year, this damage was due to the previous owner leaving the moderator on the rifle for prolonged periods.:)

I sawed and filed my .222 barrel after the previous owner has put a bulge in it. Cut the "crown" with a 5/8" carbide ball bit (for a die grinder) in a brace and bit drill arrangement, cranked by hand. Shoots the same bug holes as Finn's. ~Muir

thanks i'm consoled but i'll still get down the range as soon as my FAC comes back to confirm it

Last edited:
Back