Thread: .308 load development DONE!! :-D

One of the notes on your first target says "Prvi powder". Have they started importing powder as well as components and factory ammo?
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Sorry about that, had a minor IT faff and managed to upload the pics then the laptop crashed.. The PRVI powder was some loads where i had replaced the match head with a Hornady SST. Ive been developing the loads for this .308 for a while but only recently took the bull by the horns and spent some time working up loads.

Step 1: Tried seating so that the head touched the lands.. Result.. over 2 MOA groups (not shown in these pics..)
    Step 2: Find the OAL that worked with the PRVI rounds (Heads replaced).. Answer 2.895''
    Step 3: Try reloading once fired brass with Federal primers and H4895 @ 2.895'' with 43gn, 44gn and 45gn. Result: 43gn best (See pics)
    Step 4: Load rounds with 43gn H4895 and vary OAL to fine tune.. Result 2.87'' OAL best
    Step 5: Load rounds at 2.870'' OAL and vary the powder by 0.2gn increments.. Result 42.9gn H4895

Step 6: bang my head off a brick wall after doing the final group Pic 1, top right group which was 41gn PRVI powder 150gn SST @ 2.895'' OAL..

For some reason the rifle seems to be grouping a whole heap better in the last few trips to the range.. Im not sure of the exact cause, most probably me.. Although its a fairly new gun so i dont know if its just settling in?! Hmmm.. anyways, today was the first time that i achieved the accuracy i wanted to with the 3 shot group giving 0.037 MOA. Probably the last time i do that for a while!!

Fantastic group, well done....i would be interested to know the muzzle velosity, i am no expert but 41gn seems quite a light load to me.

regards steve

Hi Steve, RE the 41gn im not sure exactly what powder it is, i basically pulled 10 rounds, emptied the powder out, divided it by 10 and put it back in with 150gn SSTs. Ive asked for a chrono for my birthday so will be able to tell you that on Monday!

I wish i could shoot that well all the time!