Thread: Hello, just joined the mad house

Hello, just joined the mad house

Hello all, thanks for letting me join in

I've been a shotgun user for many years both on local shoots and clay grounds. I fish extensively for salmon, mainly in Scotland.

One of the estates in Scotland where I regularly take the salmon fishing has some stalking and have always fancied a crack at it so I joined this forum to get some advice and a general feel of the sport.

I'm seriously considering doing the BASC Pre-DSC1 and then the DSC1 course (been a member of BASC since 1986) and thought this forum to be a good place to get some advice as a newbe.

Hope you can help, any advice welcome, BTW, I ask a lot of questions

On the salmon forum we say tightlines, what is the phrase for stalking?

Welcome to the best stalking site there is you will get loads of free help on here if you get stuck I am only about 12 mls from you. Sikadog

Welcome aboard AdeW. I can't think what the stalking equivalent of tightlines would be. I believe in Germany the customary address is Weidmannsheil which I am led to believe means hail to the hunter. No doubt some of our fellow members who have lived and hunted in Germany will give a fuller and more correct answer later on. That's the good thing about this site the depth of knowledge available to us from our fellow site members.
    Last edited by 8x57; 11-09-2010 at 07:23.

Hi Ade, I'm also a new member of the forum, and a couple of years ago did my DSC1.To be honest I don’t think doing the pre DCS1 course is worth while I found doing a little home work before hand and reading through the manuals that BASC send you before the course is enough. However if you want to take up stalking I would not hesitate in recommending doing the DSC1.All the best Will

I would agree with that, pre DSC1 - you can cover most of that by reading some of the old threads on here, books and the course material which you recieve in advance, save the money. The guys I stalk with always give it a ' May you shoot straight and your knife be blooded'.

8x57 - it literally means huntsman hail, weidmann(huntsman) heil (hail).

The pre course does give you a chance of tuition and practice for the shooting test part of the dsc1 though which can help say if you haven't used sticks before,

I like the Weidmannsheil bit, just added it as my signature.

Thanks for the help so far, it's great this forum. Any further advice is welcome

Cheers all