BASC Pre-DSC1

A pre course course. Aren't they making enough money from the DSC1 courses now?
Q: if the DSC1 is a "teaching course", what can be taught on the pre course that can't just as easily be taught on the actual course?
Or has DSC1 now just become an attendance for a test?
Genuinely interested in this, as when I did my NSCC I seem to remember quite a high teaching content.

Its just a money making scam.

Get yourself on a propper 4day DSC1 course run by either Ronnie Rose or the BDS and you will learn everything you need to know.

The shorter courses only teach you how to pass the test and are no where near the same bang fer yer buck

Get yourself on a propper 4day DSC1 course run by either Ronnie Rose or the BDS and you will learn everything you need to know.

The shorter courses only teach you how to pass the test and are no where near the same bang fer yer buck

Thanks

How much does a 4 day course cost and are guns provided if you don't have one or a FAC?

Ade

Just short of £300 including the inch thick A4 manual and the loan of a rifle you will just be charged for the ammo you use about £1.50 a round count on minimum of 12 rounds max 30

Ade,

I did a pre DSC 1 course before doing the four day DSC 1 course. The one I did was not with BASC but followed a similar syllabus.

The Pre - DSC1 course that I did was about rifle shooting only. I understand it was created because some DSC1 candidates with limited experience of rifle shooting were struggling with the DSC 1 shooting test. There is no instruction on rifle shooting on the DSC1 course - just a shooting test, so if you've never shot rifles before you'll be in at the deep end on DSC1.

I had no experience of rifles (except airguns) prior to doing my DSC1 so the pre-DSC1 course was really useful for me. The course comprised a couple of hours of classroom work on history, basic rifle mechanics, calibres / cartridges and safety theory. We then went onto the range for the rest of the day and shot rimfires and centre fires from all the positions required by the DSC1 shooting test.

I learnt alot from the Pre DSC1 and I would suggest that if you've never used rifles before it is well worth doing. However, if you already have a rifle or you have experience of using them then it would probably be a waste of your time.

Don't write the pre-DSC 1 off as simply a money spinner because its a very good course for those who lack rifle shooting experience. My Firearms licensing officer appreciated the fact that I'd done it when he came to interview me.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob,

All of that is covered on the better quality DSC 1 courses

It is not DSC1 candidates with limited experience of rifle shooting who struggle with the DSC 1 shooting test they are fine as they do not have bad habits or technique and do as instructed.

It is the great white hunters who have shot everything all over the world, shoot everything through the left eyeball at 1000yrds with a 17hmr, that struggle with the DSC1 test.
And then they trot out the same old excuses like it was zeroed last night when I shot a fox at xxxyrds or its fine on deer I just can't do targets.

The pre DSC1 is just another way of making money out of newbees and doing less teaching on the DSC1

JMHO

Ade, as in Keith's post (Sikadog), you are only 12 miles from us here in Chester, if you are struggling, I am able to offer you access to ground where anyone needing to shoot a full bore rifle in safety, can do so, with qualified M.O.D / N.R.A. range personnel, & can be coached, no charge, on an invited guest basis............ P.M. if you need us. Steve.:cool:

I am able to offer you access to ground where anyone needing to shoot a full bore rifle in safety, can do so, with qualified M.O.D / N.R.A. range personnel, & can be coached, no charge, on an invited guest basis............ P.M. if you need us. Steve.:cool:

Is that a pre -pre -DSC1 course you're offering there Steve? :D

Seriously though, for any novice to CF rifle shooting in the area that is a very good (and commendable) offer of help and guidance.

Ade / Sweep

I think Finnbear's offer of some shooting training has to be the best of all worlds if you need a practice session before the test. I would certainly have preferred to have a go with a mate instead of paying for a course if I could've done.

I had a chuckle about your description of who struggles to pass the DSC1 shooting test Sweep. You're spot on. There were one or two self confessed experts on our course. One in particular spent the first three days telling us all about his prowess with a rifle. We were treated to tales of how he regularly shot running foxes from 250 yards away, in the dark etc, etc. There was quite a bit of sniggering when his first 5 shots completely missed the outline on the deer target !!!

By contrast, one very quiet chap appeared with a rifle that he'd bought two days before. He asked a few questions about how to operate it and was given advice by the self confessed experts. He then produced a ragged hole from prone at 100 yards and a clover leaf while sitting. Needless to say it all went a bit quiet after that.

Best of luck with the DSC 1 Ade. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Sweep, firstly I agree with you about Ronnie Rose (both the younger and the not so younger). A first class professional. I was inspired by both of them some 22 years ago whilst I was still at Sparsholt. Part of what I learned from them both is still with me now, and the lectures and field teaching delivered by them both was faultless.

However, as far as having a dig at people who are running shorter courses, I reckon you're off the mark there Sweep! It's not about how long the course is. It is about the content of the course. I could easily spread a course over 4 days, but lets be honest here, most of them are just relaying what David Stretton has written in his manual. And guys can sit at home by the fire, glass of whiskey, and read that for the price of the manual - and may I say an excellent manual it is too.

Our own DSCL1 courses begin on a Friday evening, and end on a Sunday afternoon. And as far as I am concerned our candidates pass the course by, a) reading the manual and digesting its contents, and b) listening to what is being taught on the course, and putting it into practice.

I can say with hand on heart that 22 years ago, I learned more from a two hour lecture from Ronnie Rose Snr., and a two hour woodland visit with Ronnie Rose Jnr., than I did on a 4 day advanced stalkers course by the BDS (No disrespect to the BDS). What I 'heard' from the BDS course was stuff that I'd already read and learned from books by Richard Prior, Andrew De Nahlik, and Kenneth Whitehead.

I echo comments made by other members that any training is good training, and I couldn't agree more, but don't just write off shorter courses until you know the structure of those courses, and what is taught on them.

Mike
(Jelen Deer Services)

Mike, I fully endorse your comments regarding Mr. Rose, Snr. and Jnr. After twenty five years of stalking, I went to Eskdalemuir (Friday p.m. to Sunday p.m.) thinking I knew plenty. After the visit to Eskdalemuir, I still knew what I knew on arrival plus a bucket load more that I picked up whilst there. Ronnie Rose Snr.'s lectures were amazing and I an sure that I use some of the content of those lectures every time I go out. He also pointed me towards "Best Practice" before it became common parlance. My friend who attended the course with me feels the same.

I completed a pre DSC course earlier this year and found it really useful. The knowledge acquired helped in my FAC application and provided a lower cost alternative to going straight to the DSC level 1 as -at that stage I was still deciding the pace I wanted to go at.

Having enjoyed the pre DSC course it stimulated me to go on and do the Level 1 and now I am hooked.

I guess its all down to the individual but I wouldn't dismiss this stepped learning just as a money spinner.

[FONT=&quot]Hi Sweep, Got to agree with you about pre course courses, the courses we, Pnedart and several other providers I know run, have no need at all of pre course courses. You will find that all of the good providers give their students plenty of time, material and prior assistance before they arrive, via phone, post and internet. As to the shooting, your rifle and how you use it is the most important tool in your deer management repertoire, That is why good providers will always spend time on all aspects of rifle shooting, if your experience is to turn up on the day and shoot, then you have not been well served by your teachers. As to ammo we reckon that you need to bring at least 80 rounds so that we can run you through the procedure so that nothing surprises you on the day, and of course to zero your rifle and Practise.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Remember what CBT says time spent training is seldom wasted, all training is good.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dry Powder.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Barry Thom[/FONT]

help and pre dsc

Agreed,

But some dont have access to rifles and land so some form of pre training is essential for them.
the great thing is you guys, if someone looks for genuine help and asks it from this site they get it.
i would say that the pre dsc 1 course would be the same as spending a week or so on here asking knowledgeable guys questions and asking for help.
i know that one member on here was registered to do his level one and i offered him shooting (not saying i know it all) but i did offer my help.
free help and assistance i have learned is sometimes the best kind.

good luck no matter which route you take.

f.
bt you got in before me but my post stands as i agree totally with you also

Last edited:
I see a mention of David Stretton a little further up the page, I would like to mention that when I attended his L1, it was delivered in such a way that it was just like visiting with extended family, a more relaxed learning situation could not have been constructed.

PRE DSC1 course and then a four day course! Well must be damn good (I would hope). We're just 2 days with assessment included bosh. That's seems to suit most stalkers the best.

PRE DSC1 course and then a four day course! Well must be damn good (I would hope). We're just 2 days with assessment included bosh. That's seems to suit most stalkers the best.

Exactly, Paul. Have you ever had anyone complain that they didn't get the knowledge they expected from your course?? I doubt it. None of our past course candidates have complained either.

As I said earlier, it's about what the course contains, how it is delivered, who is delivering it, and what the learners get out of it. Not about how long it takes to do it. The 2 & 3 day courses, provided the lecturer knows his stuff, and can deliver it in a way that is easy to learn - and retain - then shorter courses are no less informative then a 4 - 5 day course, IMHO.

Mike
(Jelen Deer Services)

Back