Chances of a FAC with DR10

AdeW

Does anyone know what the chances are of ever getting a FAC with a drink driving conviction?

The conviction was 11 years ago, a blemish on an otherwise clean license. The person in question has had a SGC for years, and has had their licence renewed several times since.

Obviously I pointed them in the direction of BASC and the like for advice but wondered if anyone on here has ever been in a similar position?

Ade

On the face of it there should be no problem. As you say, he's had his SGC renewed several times, so he's obviously not regarded as a liability. Provided it was truly a "one off" he should be ok. Of course, any repeat performance and all bets are off.

The drink driving conviction will have been dealt with at some point in the past,either when he made his first appliaction for a shotgun certificate if that was after the conviction or at the first renewal thereafter. As such I'd be surprised if it had any adverse bearing on an application for a firearms certificate.

I think issues like this always create question of an applicants ability to be sensible and not do stupid things. As he has a SGC then he is obviously not considered as a risk so a FAC should be just the same. The only difference between the two is that you have to prove a need for a firearm, so if he's considered safe to own a shotgun and has a use for a rifle then I really can't see a problem with it. We all make mistakes and 11 years is a long time.

I got my FAC with a DR10 admitedly 20 years before absolutely no issue at all. Fully open certificate for .22 and .243 from word go. 11years it should not be a problem, its mainly violent crime etc that thier interested in.

My stalking friend had a GBH charge and 12 months inside when he was young (18) but now has been stalking with full bore rifles for 10 years.

He was granted a certificate when 35.

Brianm

i have a friend who a couple of years ago crashed his car whilst almost 3 times the limit with his .22-250, bullets for .22-250 and .22 and shotgun cartridges in the car. the police took all his guns off of him that night and we all told him to forget about shooting as he would never see his guns again but a few weeks later he was given everything back except driving license so i wouldnt worrie to much

hi,

i had six points on my licence when i went for my fac, the Flo told me any more and i could have it removed,
unable to behave and have bad practice with a car, more than likely to do the same with a gun ...
Needless to say each force has its own set of rules.
I have nine points on my licence and am due my sgc renewal in 2011 but by then 3 will have dropped off, yes i am concerned.
i will be asking/ paying for a new paper one as there is more notes on it than i care to see....
any excuse is better than no excuse.

f.

hi,

i had six points on my licence when i went for my fac, the Flo told me any more and i could have it removed,
unable to behave and have bad practice with a car, more than likely to do the same with a gun ...
I have nine points on my licence and am due my sgc renewal in 2011 but by then 3 will have dropped off, yes i am concerned.
i will be asking/ paying for a new paper one as there is more notes on it than i care to see....

f.

I was Shooting pheasants witha polieman friend a few years ago when this subject came up, he simply put it that if a person is irresponsible enough to drive his car whilst pxssed he was to irresponsible to own a gun......

Nell

hi,

f.

That one seems a bit harsh. Points on anyones licence should never be grounds for refusal or retraction unless dishonesty was involved. I know people who have been given 3 points for doing 56 mph through a 50 limit on the motorway. I really cannot see how a driving license, wether full of points or not, can have a bearing on ability to handle firearms in a safe and controlled manner.

There is no chance of any issuing force to revoke an fac based on points on your license unless as you say purgery or some form of deception is involved.

Your FLO is making the rules up himself and if this ever happened, a letter to the Police complaints process would sort him out so worry not your FAC is perfectly safe within these parameters.

I was Shooting pheasants witha polieman friend a few years ago when this subject came up, he simply put it that if a person is irresponsible enough to drive his car whilst pxssed he was to irresponsible to own a gun......

Nell

thats what he said to me too. they may not be able to revoke it but i bet they will be well unhappy if your sitting with 9/12 points..

f.

Your friend should be fine as he has proved, by his good behaviour, that he is not a repeat offender. But he must remember to declare it on his FAC application!

I lost my license at the age of 16 for DD on a moped. It ruined a good few things for me, but I was granted a shotgun certificate five years after, that was no problem. I also put it on my FAC application. I have had no further blemishes on my record and had no trouble gaining my FAC.

ft

i have a friend who a couple of years ago crashed his car whilst almost 3 times the limit with his .22-250, bullets for .22-250 and .22 and shotgun cartridges in the car. the police took all his guns off of him that night and we all told him to forget about shooting as he would never see his guns again but a few weeks later he was given everything back except driving license so i wouldnt worrie to much

Drunk in charge of his firearms and his car? And he kept his guns? Don't tell me, your force don't allow centrefires for vermin control because it's dangerous?:rolleyes:

After discussingthis with my FEO recently I was told that being disqualified from driving does not neccesarily result in your FAC being revoked. Every incident is considered on it's own merits. He did point out that drink driving was frowned upon and dangerous driving even more so.

Clocking up 12 points due to bold tyres and one speeding offence is not a good idea but it's not exactly crime of the century either.

Back