Sako L61R

Dan Newcombe

Seen one of these for a very good price and was wondering how they stack up against a Sako 75 or a Tikka 595 / 695

Dan

It's probably a lot better than the new one. Of course that will depend on use and how it was kept. If maintained well and not abused a much better buy that the new jobbies. Have a couple of friends in the US who collect the older Sako's.

Really an L61R or an AV?

I've two AVs, one very early (early 80's) and one later (mid 90's) and I like them both... a lot. They were both sold to me as "L61R Finnbears", neither of them strictly is tho'.

Well this one is clearly marked:-

39576529.jpg

39576524.jpg

On the left alongside my BSA CF2 in 7x57

39576548.jpg

39576556.jpg

That one should give the game away. It belongs to a friend in the US and is a .300 Win mag.

Hi BH, certainly can't argue with yours, it looks like the original "square-section, forearm" stock too... and I always like to see an old CF2. My first deer rifle was an almost identical CF2, in .243win and it was a very stylish gun, for not much money, I recall. Do you think the original L61R is better than the AV's?

Really an L61R or an AV?

I've two AVs, one very early (early 80's) and one later (mid 90's) and I like them both... a lot. They were both sold to me as "L61R Finnbears", neither of them strictly is tho'.
During the 1980s (1987), Sako started using the AI/AII/AV designations (previously used for models imported to the US) for the three action lengths in Europe.
The complete rifles were still designated L461/L579/L61.
The bolt was given a slight cosmetic makeover, with the hammer covered by a conical shell

During the 1980s (1987), Sako started using the AI/AII/AV designations (previously used for models imported to the US) for the three action lengths in Europe. The bolt was given a slight cosmetic makeover, with the hammer covered by a conical shell

All this techno jargon... "hammer" is that the rear protrusion, from the bolt, of the firing pin assembly?

Certainly, mine do have the shrouds.... and rounded fore-end treatment.

All this techno jargon... "hammer" is that the rear protrusion, from the bolt, of the firing pin assembly?

Certainly, mine do have the shrouds.... and rounded fore-end treatment.
Hammer, as understood by older shooters, is to mean the hammer that you used to cock with your thumb!.......... now hammer is used to describe the small weight of metal released behind the firing pin built into you bolt, this is underneath the shroud.

Hammer, as understood by older shooters, is to mean the hammer that you used to cock with your thumb!.......... now hammer is used to describe the small weight of metal released behind the firing pin built into you bolt, this is underneath the shroud.

Dang.... that must make me an older shooter....:rolleyes: Otherwise, I'll take that as an affirmative, on my earlier question. BTW I think you got your designation dates from Wiki...whatsit. Sako do it here, and they're a bit different:

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatables/SakoOldmodelsNumbering.pdf

If you look at the extreme left hand column on your link, you will note that 'ALL' the models are L61R's, followed by added changes such as A AV etc.

Hi BH, certainly can't argue with yours, it looks like the original "square-section, forearm" stock too... and I always like to see an old CF2. My first deer rifle was an almost identical CF2, in .243win and it was a very stylish gun, for not much money, I recall. Do you think the original L61R is better than the AV's?

I am not a Sako collector that L61R belongs to a friend I was hunting with in Missouri. Now that quastion is one you should someone like Sakorick who's handle gives away his allegence :D Sorry but he is not a member here butt his firearms season in Missouri he is using one of his Sakos. he posted this on another forum:-

I pulled the old Sako out of hibernation. It's a 1971 L61R Finnbear chambered in 7MM Remington Magnum, with a 24 1/4 inch barrel, 5 groove one in 9.6 twist....strictly a factory Sako.

It seems his 30-06AI is is building up will not be ready for November's season so he is going to be using the Sako. I noticed that he has fitted a new Zeiss Conquest scope on it in the photo he posted over there. I believe Rick is a member of the Sako Collectors Guild. I know he highly rates the old Bofors steel marked Sako's.

If you look at the extreme left hand column on your link, you will note that 'ALL' the models are L61R's, followed by added changes such as A AV etc.

I know, confusing isn't it? I mean ... obviously you'd think NOT... but some are actually stamped L61 R, like BH's example, some are evidently L691's and some are AV's. I believe there was a rolling development programme with variations in componentry and manufacturing technique, in abundance. ... but they're all damned fine rifles

So we are saying that a .270 is a good buy for £250 condition looks good from what i have seen of it. Holts auction picturesd are never great!

And a Zeiss fixed power scope on top as well?

Dont reckon you can go far wrong with that sort of price

Dan

So we are saying that a .270 is a good buy for £250 condition looks good from what i have seen of it. Holts auction picturesd are never great!

And a Zeiss fixed power scope on top as well?

Dont reckon you can go far wrong with that sort of price

Dan

Sounds pretty good to me :D ...Can you get a shot with it before you buy?. I bought my "older" AV about seven years ago from Winky's in Tain. It was a .270 with a shot out barrel and a stock that had been butchered to make it ambidextrous... no scope, no rings. I was happy to get it for £150 and spent about £500 to put a Border Barrel and Sound moderator on it. Much TLC later and she's now a cracking tool, for a lot less dough than a new gun.

Its in the Holts Auction at the end of the month so cant have a go.

I was thinking about putting a bit of a lower bid on and seeing what happened if the 6.5x55 i am looking at this weekend isnt what i want.

The scope on its own is worth pretty much that much and a new barrel would give a rifle cheaper than new!

Sako Finnbear, 7mm Rem.Mag. with steel Weaver scope 3-9X40 .
I used this as a work tool for some years since 1976 when I acquired it. Excellent trigger and a fine accurate rifle.
I have had 2 Mod.75s but that old Finnbear was a masterpiece.
Reluctantly it had to go back to its owner in Eire when they lifted the legal Deer calibre to .270 in 1993. It was re-barrelled to.264 Win. for use over there.
HWH.
[ Picture has failed to appear, will try it again !]

Back