Heard the first roar tonight.

Dan Gliballs

Thats the forestry fellas starting again, just been out with the dogs and heard one at the end of my drive, hopefully the hill ones wont be far behind now.

Anyone else heard one?

down in norfolk , the hind numbers are growing near my patch , only seen the 1 big stag so far and a couple of spikers but there are a heap of hinds !

Westcountry, Exe Valley area: Stags are breaking up with the big fellas on the move and starting to get near the hind groups. The youngsters are wanding around aimlessly like spare pr*cks at a wedding, (which I guess they are at the moment! :D), but no sign or sound of any serious activity as yet. Day and night time temperatures are high at the moment and forecast to continue for a while, so I think it unlikely for anything to start happening in the coming week.

Shot a big black stinking stag with a poor head from amongst a small group of hinds last Wednesday. There was another stag with them earlier in the day but no roaring.

So far ,A bit of throat clearing and young stags getting less comfortable together just starting to split a bit. Some more high pressure and frosty mornings would help it get going . Highland perthshire

Any more news. Was in Suffolk over last weekend, and nothing at all.( Really only want to get this back at the top!!):stag:

Nothing happening down here yet. A coupla of young prickets and an ol' boy on the outer fringes but as Orion said just wandering about like SP's........

Due to work on the north coast I managed to take a swing across Exmoor this afternoon. The big stags are just starting to round up their harems and push the young pretenders away. No roaring that I could make out through the wind but it looks as if the rut is just about to kick off.

A few pics taken through the telescope @ 40x mag and about 450 - 500 metres. Location NW of Dunkery Beacon on the southern part of Wilmersham Common, (if you're in the area) :

View attachment 2728
View attachment 2729
View attachment 2730

Last edited:
Thats the forestry fellas starting again, just been out with the dogs and heard one at the end of my drive, hopefully the hill ones wont be far behind now.

Anyone else heard one?

TONIGHT! 1930. last night nothing. tonight The Damh Mhor is roaring his head off in the glen bottom, with some answering from the surrounding slopes.

Watched him chasing his harem for 20 minutes.

Glad I didn't shoot him last week now!

H.

Back