Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sooty necks

Question sooty necks

I've been developing a round for my tikka t3 223, win case, cci 400 primers, a-max 52 gr bullet, powder h322 working from 22gr, first firing new cases to 23.5gr,on third firing, so cases are well and truly fire formed. I've been through the archives and read as much as I can on sooting so I've not been idle, on checking OAL with bullet touching the lands the cartridge measured 2.292" so for first firing I set it back 015" and had sooty necks, second firing, upped powder to 22.5gr still 015" off lands, still got sooty necks, third firing upped powder to 23.5 gr, seated bullet 030" off lands, still got sooty necks, neck tension seems fine and max load for this powder and bullet is 25gr, I'm not shooting out any further than 150/170 yds so can't see any reason to up powder to the max, in fact, at 22gr and 015" off the lands I was getting good groupings, I don't really want to go down the crimping road, maybe a change of powder, I just don't know, I've got some IMR 8208 xbr on order but all I get when I ask is it's on back order and thats been well over a month/ six weeks, I've been thoroughly cleaning neck area in the chamber after every session just in case the sooting creates any sort of corrosion, and cases are thoroughly cleaned after each session, so gents can you possibly throw some light on the subject, it will be deeply appreciated......callie

It's hard to figure exactly but sdooty necks are usually caused by low pressure or work hardened brass. In your case I'm guessing pressure. You could judiciously up the charge or switch to a faster powder like that 8208 or Varget... or 3031 for that matter: an excellent .223 powder.

In any event, the soot will do no harm. Good luck. ~Muir

I was going to suggest that the soot isn't really a problem? If the round shoots well then just clean your cases after!

muir, njc,:- thank you, you've both put my mind at rest as I was more concerned with possible corrosion from the soot, cheers fellas...callie

I was lead to believe that slight sooting around the neck was perfectly normal, however if sooting is further down the body of the case then this is a typical sign of low pressure.

Hi rem, sooting on neck and very slight collar about 1/32"-030" on shoulder, never had any trouble with factory rounds but there again they're crimped, decided to reload when a box of hornady jumped 4 a box to 20+, and now I'm learning all the lttle quirks of reloading, and I must admit I'm enjoing it, reloading that is, thanks for the imput...callie

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    I was going to suggest that the soot isn't really a problem? If the round shoots well then just clean your cases after!

"Izzy-wizzy, let's get busy!"

Sorry I've been waiting to post this since the thread started.

Hi Callie.
    You may find a tiny little bit of crimp advantageos(spelling). To puff out the case to seal the neck,also to
    prevent the bullets pushing into the cases as a result of recoil.
    Just putting my oar in.

brian :- if it was a bigger calibre, ie. 243 and up I'd probably crimp but as it's only 223 with very little recoil I don't think there's any need to, maybe a change of powder, faster burning as muir and others have suggested may help, but we'll see...cheers callie