problems with zeroing

deerhunter270

problems with zeroing DM80

Hoping this is an easy fix but I doubt it,I previously had a pes moderator on my .222 which was very heavy but shot well,I have now sold it and bought a DM80 which is much lighter but the accuracy has gone right out the window in fact at 100 yards it is lucky if I can get 2 shots out of 3 on an A4 target and even those 2 shots are at opposite sides off the target ,anybody got any ideas ?

deerhunter270

Last edited:
Do as above post says. Try it without the moderator first.

The fact that the rifle shot well prior to a moderator change will have something to do with it I would think. Was it re-threaded, barrel shortened, crown touched? Does it thread on easily and feel secure.

Also, try another moderator, it could be the 80 causing the problem.

I have had a similar issue with a .17HMR. I found that the rounds were clipping the baffles on the way out. Changed the suppressor and it sorted it right out.

Take the Mod apart and have a look to see if there is any damage.

the rifle is shooting fine without mod,it has had no work done to it after selling the PES and the mod feels secure when attached .If no signs off damage I will contact the seller to see what they say, cheers for the advice

graeme

Had the same prob with a t8.Turned out the mod was too small,yes it was the right calibre,the bullets were not touching the baffles but there wasn`t enough room for the gasses.Gunsmith took a tiny amount of baffles in a lathe, problem sorted.

I have e-mailed decoying.co.uk to see if they can resolve the problem

deerhunter270

just received a phone call from Mark at decoying.I am going to be in his area in October so will drop off the rifle and mod and he will rectify the problem .Great service

Last edited:
Hi Graeme,

I'm sure it will be something simple. If you don't get to the bottom of it, as Mark said, just call into the shop and we will get it sorted. They really are a decent mod. :british:

try it without the mod on it first before you do any thing else mate i had this on one of my rifles then if it groups then if it does nt its your ammo that does not suit your rifle hope this helps

Is it really possible for a centrefire round to clip a baffle and the shooter not realise?

I only ask because if the bullet just glances against the baffle on one side of the moderator, could this not be enough to throw it across and really smack into the baffles on the other side which would cause untold amount of damage? Plus, if the bullets are still making the target, they are most unlikely to make a neat round hole as this contact with the baffles must surely throw them off their centre axis.

I'm not saying it could not happen, I genuinely would be surprised if it is without realising given the velocities we are talking about.

I damaged a T8 through my own stupidty, I left it loose to cool and then shot it loose and the bullet took a half moon shape out of the last two baffles.
When I tightened it up it wouldn't shoot an oil drum at 100yds.
Stuck it in the lathe and opened it up to a 30 cal, and all was well..
I think there is a very fine tolerance between the gasses and the baffles and any imperfections are shown on, or as in my case not on the target..

regards
Griff

Coincidently there is quite a good article in this months Shooting Gazette on the importance of correct fitting of moderators. The author voices his opinion that poorly made or incorrectly fitted baffles could cause the uneven dispersion of gases and that could effect the accuracy. Quite an interesting read though.

Back