Hmm Police "marksmen" eh?

I wonder how many of us would lose our tickets if we behaved in such an appalling way? Further, how many of us couldn't execute a heart shot at 100yds?

a mate of mine was down at Bisley a couple of weeks ago,along side them sharing there lane was a Police marksman team,he told me he had never seen such shocking shooting in his life,the guy in charge all dressed in balck SWAT gear ended up throwing his gun un bagged into the boot of his car and storming off in a huff as he couldnt hit jack and his team were taking the micky out of him

I wonder how many of us would lose our tickets if we behaved in such an appalling way? Further, how many of us couldn't execute a heart shot at 100yds?

I met a police marksman a couple of years ago on holiday with my familly. Some of his stories were quite scary. He basically said that they are a mixed bunch, some who are fanatical about their weapons, ammo and shoot as a hobby as well as being police marksment. Some that were dieing to pull the trigger and then others who were pretty clueless about the weapons they used (from a technical perspective) and basically had the minimum skill required for the role. He also said that the handguns they are now issued with (cant remember which make) were terrible and said that he was doing well if he got a 6 inch group at 25 yards.

Apologies if their are Police marksmen on the site but that was my impression from his perspective.

Lovely comment on the article by JuliaM of Essex regarding the actions of the vet -

"...he won't be asked any awkward questions about his professional judgement in leaving their 'humane' destruction to Officers Magoo & Stevie Wonder...""

Aparently the first shot hit the back leg ,then the front leg was blown off then another 17 rounds into the horse if true unbelievable.

Where I live in Cheshire was in the middle of the 1960's foot and mouth outbreak and the farm I live in the middle of had the desease, so we were quarentined for I think about 14 days
While the slaughter men were killing the cows and sheep before they insinerated them one sheep escaped and 2 days later was still wandering around.
So the Min of Ag called the Police who sent a (MARKSMAN ) who at about 50 yards took 7 shots to kill the sheep (The first 3 shots missed all together) and as he was using a 303 service rifle and the ground where I live is as flat as a pancake you would wonder where all the flyind lead ended up. Keith

If the comments of the eyewitness are true (they claim to have photos too) then I imagine the poo will hit the fan on this one. We've all made cock ups but shooting a horse 19 times including in the back leg. At least if the 'marksman' has to hand in his spurs they can always find him a job as an FEO like all the other failed policemen! JC

Im shocked its only 10 miles away, I could have done it for them;)
To right you could of ,someones thread on a horse site mentioned a stalker ie the best of the best marksmens, should have been called in,only if the horse had to be shot in the first place ,

Not sure if i remember right but dont the police use .223's? Maybe a bit small for a horse (and also unlikely to blow a leg off)

Suppose it just goes to show that its lucky people are prepared to go and shoot RTC deer instead of plod!

To be honest i dont think i would shoot a horse, even on plods say so. Too much of a minefield after the event when people find out.

I just made a call to a mate who is in the know, and am told that the police are still using 7.62x51, mainly HK's. There was a fad at one time of them using .225's, and there are probably still some about.

I hope this is not true, i really do. Not to spare the police's blushes, but for the poor animal. If it was filmed, and it is true, I hope they never let that particular "marksman" near a weapon again!

ft

Yes Dan the standard issue is or was a Heckler and Koch .223. I remember after the 2001 foot and mouth being asked to shoot 12 OTM Limousin bullocks that were on a railway embankment and so wild as to be unapproachable. An Edinburgh police markman had been called by SEERAD to do the job and to the mans credit said his weapon wasnt up to it. I have shot dozens of horses in my career with various calibres and types of weapon. They are so thin -skulled that a small calibre would easily kill them. I have heard of the results of heart shots in cattle during the said 2001 f&m . The incident resulted in an attempt at prosecution for causing unneccessary suffering . David

You don't think the numpty tried to use 12g slugs do you? It would account for the appalling accuracy? JC

a mate of mine was down at Bisley a couple of weeks ago,along side them sharing there lane was a Police marksman team,he told me he had never seen such shocking shooting in his life,the guy in charge all dressed in balck SWAT gear ended up throwing his gun un bagged into the boot of his car and storming off in a huff as he couldnt hit jack and his team were taking the micky out of him
not sure if it was the same guy (there is a regular who wears all the swat gear and is alleged to have some connection with the police) but I was down at Bisley in August and there was a guy there with a Met police sweatshirt in a group shooting on the far left firing point, we were next to them and could hear the complaints from the butts on the radio about the shots falling waaaaaay left of the target berm! OK it was a 1000 yds but all our shots landed on the target sheet and not 2-3 yards away! so it couldn't have been just wind effect!

Then they tell us we are likly to be unsafe for humane dispach of deer. this is cruelty of the worst kind who needs locking up.

Just an aside question so please don't let this wander off at a tangent, just a yes or no answer will suffice. Would the police have had access to expanding ammunition?
Buckup

Back