7x64 & 7mm 08 barrel length

Bestman

Are there any barrel length considerations why deciding between these two (I like a handy gun although this wouldn't be moderated) To be used in Europe for everything up to, and including, boar. Non military calibres chosen for the benefit of the French.

I'd assume but could not back up the 708 will be better with a short barrel as it's based on the 308 case, which are not bad with short barrels. The 7x64 has a bigger case and I'd say you'd get more of a performance drop with a short barrel (20" right?). The 7x64 is basically a 280rem - itself a 30-06 necked down with basically 270 performance, and neither like short barrels.

But for boar, especially driven, you may want to consider the 7x64 packs quite a bit more punch than the 708. But you probably already new that seeing as you're comparing them!

CZ have produced the "Battue" in 7x64 with a 20" barrel, there are several other european manufacturers who make a 20" barrel model too. I think a 22" would be my favourite to give the best compramise and to still be handy, if it's not going to be threaded. Just my unprofessional personal opinion.

The reloading manuals, and a certain Mr Hawks mentions this, say that the 7x64 likes the longer/heavier bullets because of it's throat. I'm not sure but I know someone who uses a 7x64 with 140gn BT's on fallow to great effect, then swaps to 162gn Swift A-frames for boar. It works!

ft

Thanks Guys, I think 7x64 is looking good. Although I suppose if considering 7mm 08 then .270 should be looked at, but I'm not sure if it's boar legal everywhere?

The bullet selection in .284"/7mm is much better than that in .277"/.270 ............................................ just a thought ;).

Oh BTW my .270's have either 22" barrel or 20". all are BSA's and that's the lengths they came in.

Thanks for the info Brithunter; I guess the reverse is true for over the counter factory ammunition?

Hmmm don't know as although i already use a 7x57 the only factory ammo I have used through it was some RWS 175 grn H-Mantle I picked up and it hammers Roe. The 7mm 115 grn HP from Speer works very well on beasts. Gitano has used the bullet an awful lot in his 7x300 wildcat and I think cariboo would be possibly a bit larger than our Reds?

I do have some Remington Bulk 175 grn pointed bullets but have not used them as yet but it's possible that our choice of ammunition is hindered here in the UK by importers lack of foresight and even possibly interest. they know that if you need it and it's all they offer it's what you will HAVE to buy. Hornady even load this cartridge now as do most of the European makers but finding some on your local shops shelf may not be that easy. You might find it in some areas/regions and in others none at att. The 25-06 is a bit like this as well I have found................. Oh yes and don;t discount the US copy the .280 Remington ;).

Thanks Guys, I think 7x64 is looking good. Although I suppose if considering 7mm 08 then .270 should be looked at, but I'm not sure if it's boar legal everywhere?

The 7X64 would be an excellent choice for your purpose and as someone else stated preferably with the 22inch barrel.
RWS make ideal bullets for your purpose in 11.2gram [173grain] H Mantel Copper Hollowpoints and 11.5gram [177grain] Original Brenneke TIG.
For longer range sniping the 10.5gram [123grain] Cone Point would serve your purpose well.
Incidentally the 7X64 was developed by Wilhelm Brenneke in 1917 so it has been around for quite a long time.

I started my stalking career with a Merkel 7X65R O/U double rifle in 1961 and shot 6 species of Deer and a Chamois with the 11.2gram [173grain] roundnose softpoint bullet.
When I re-loaded for it I used the Speer 130grain bullets and found that when the bottom barrel was sighted in for 100yds the top barrel shot 3inches high on the target so I effectively had TWO rifles on one stock and used the bottom barrel for woodland work and the top one for mountain stalking.

HWH.

If you are still considering 7mm-08 I have a Custom Remington 700 shortened from 24" to 22". From tests I have found, the 7mm-08 calibre will lose approx 30fps per inch from 24" down to 20" - below 20" the percentage loss of velocity increases. Faster calibres will supposedly lose more velocity in that barrel length range.
As for accuracy a shorter barrel would be stiffer and may even improve accuracy!
From personal experience with the 7mm-08 it has proven to be an excellent performer on Reds, Fallow, Roe and Muntjac (and a Fox or two). A real all-rounder that leaves my .243 in the shade and and what was my .308 (until I changed the barrel to 7mm-08) slightly dated! I't's also on the list as a Wild Boar calibre which I also have it for but not tried - yet.
Factory ammunition ranges from 120g to 150g and if loading your own can go up to 175g. All ammunition I've tried is superbly accurate to less than 1/2"@100yards.
In relation to the .270 which one of my deer management team uses there is little difference in performance, however the 7mm-08 is softer shooting and being a short action more compact and handier.
Personally I very much doubt any species mentioned will know the difference between 7x64, 7mm-08 or .270! I'd just choose a rifle that you feel comfortable with.
Good luck!

Thanks Deer man, actually just an extra barrel I'll be getting for my .308 Mauser M03, nothing wrong with the .308 apart from the fact the French don't like it. I wonder whether the 150 grain factory ammunition would be acceptable for boar everywhere?

I would add another vote for the 7x64. On the m03 you have a long action so you may as well make use of the versitality of the 7 x64. I use the rimmed 7x65r like HWH above, with the 139 gn hornady bullet. Comfortable to shoot and when I get the chance to shoot boar etc I go up to bigger bullet that is still pretty flat shooting.

But the 7mm 08 also looks a really good round that seems to get really good velocity out of a small case and you can build around a short action - albeit not applicable in this case.

Thanks Deer man, actually just an extra barrel I'll be getting for my .308 Mauser M03, nothing wrong with the .308 apart from the fact the French don't like it. I wonder whether the 150 grain factory ammunition would be acceptable for boar everywhere?

I changed my .308 to 7mm-08 to use in France (for Boar) as well and when investigating the calibre to go for I seem to remember 150g is acceptable. The sectional density of 150g SP 7mm equates very roughly to about 180g SP .308 and 140g SP 7mm to approx 165g SP .308 - so penetration wise a 150g should do the job.
Nothing wrong with the .308 and 7.62mm which I've used a lot over the years but 7mm-08 is a very good sporting alternative. From what I've read it's also starting to get a following in the USA for target shooting over the .308/7.72mm.
I'll stand corrected but I believe in France the .30/30 is also used for Boar and that's a 150g or 170g and far less powerful than the 7mm-08.

I changed my .308 to 7mm-08 to use in France (for Boar) as well and when investigating the calibre to go for I seem to remember 150g is acceptable. The sectional density of 150g SP 7mm equates very roughly to about 180g SP .308 and 140g SP 7mm to approx 165g SP .308 - so penetration wise a 150g should do the job.
Nothing wrong with the .308 and 7.62mm which I've used a lot over the years but 7mm-08 is a very good sporting alternative. From what I've read it's also starting to get a following in the USA for target shooting over the .308/7.72mm.
I'll stand corrected but I believe in France the .30/30 is also used for Boar and that's a 150g or 170g and far less powerful than the 7mm-08.

i use 140 grain nosler partions in my 7mm.08 at 2800fps and 150 grain federal powershoks at 2650fps lots of power with low recoil.more than enough for pigs or big red deer.

7mm-08 is a very good sporting alternative. From what I've read it's also starting to get a following in the USA for target shooting over the .308/7.72mm.
I'll stand corrected but I believe in France the .30/30 is also used for Boar and that's a 150g or 170g and far less powerful than the 7mm-08.[/QUOTE]

its becoming a very popular cartridge with hunters in n america as well.its much flatter shooting than a .308 and after about 200 yards it over takes a .308 for energy and speed in a similar grain bullet as well.

Last edited:
THE difference would be if boar is shot from a highseat or driven. With a well placed bullet both calibres will do the job as well as the 270. When driven shooting, bullet placement isn't always perfect and then you can use every bit of energy to blow the driven boar of his feet and maybe keep him long enough on the spot to give him a second bullet. I use a 7x64 because we were not allowed to use military calibres when I bought it. The 7x64 is considered "light" in Europe, both in performance and recoil. If I would buy a boar rifle for general use in Europe it would be a browning BAR in 300 win mag. Excellent in all conditions. I certainly wouldn't buy anything lighter than a 7x64. Barrel lenght from 20 to 22 inch, no problem.

My old Stalking mentors Piggy rifles are both 7mm's the Bolt one was a Mannlicher GK in 7x64 the other for driven pigs is a SxS in 7x65R. I say was because after many years of use the accuracy was waining in the GK so he has had it re-barreled and as he cannot travel so much not he had it re-barreled to 7-08 as it will see him out on use in this country on our various deer species. In the 7x64 he liked the Hirtenberger ammunition and his rifle like it too. The pigs on the other hand did not!

Although his last pigs were shot with a 12 bore Semi auto as the Italians would not allow them to import of use their rifles...so much for the EU :rolleyes:.

20" or under the 7-08 could possibly overtake a 7x64 in speed. Just as the 308 beats a 30-06 in short barrels.
My friend just got a steyr scout in 7-08 which does over 2900fps with 140 gr.
For boar I'd favour 308 or 30-06 over the 7mm's.
For deer 7-08 seems just right.
edi

Are there any barrel length considerations why deciding between these two (I like a handy gun although this wouldn't be moderated) To be used in Europe for everything up to, and including, boar. Non military calibres chosen for the benefit of the French.

Hi there

Just thought I'd give you my point of view. I've just taken delivery of a new stalking rifle made by those fine chaps at Rhino and it's a bit of an oddy. It's got an 18inch barrel match barrel in 7mm08 and it's just a peach. I did a lot of research before deciding on the barrel length and the wisdom of the moment suggests that full powder burn is over in 14inches and that the loss in velocity is about 200 fps over a standard 22inch barrel. It chronos a 140grn ballistic tip at 2692 and, to be honest, you'll not notice much difference until you're past 300m so for all pratical purposes the short barrel makes no difference at all at normal hunting ranges.

I've attached a couple of pictures plus a 3 shot group at 100m.

Hope that helps some.

Attachments

• DSCN0695.JPG
    DSCN0695.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN0700.JPG
    DSCN0700.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN0692.JPG
    DSCN0692.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 66
Back