Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where have all the bucks gone?

Where have all the bucks gone?

I have permission to shoot roe on a farm south of Perth and on a forestry plantation further south still.

Since the start of the buck season I would expect to cull one buck every other visit. Not this year

For the dozen or so visits I've only put three into my larder.

Sometimes all I see are does, other times absolutely nothing at all.

Is it just me or are other people getting the same results or lack of them?

Sods Law of course - when I am driving home after a morning outing there are deer including what look like one or two medalheads in everyone else's fields etc.

Reporsd from the different parts of the country would be appreciated either to make me feel I'm not alone or very jealous

Hi Nick,
    All I saw yesterday was Does. I'm assured by Sikamalc that this wiil be the case until the Bucks start the rut. The Does are busy with the fawns and have little time for much else.

I think you find that at this time of year the bucks are spending a lot of thier time in cover. There is no need for them to come out as the spring growth in the woods means there is plenty of food now. Most of the boys have now been pushed out and things are settling down as the bucks are now in thier territories and the does have kids to look after.

bucks all gone

I have experienced this over a number of years now the food is that good it doesn't take long for a buck to eat his fill . He doesn't have to keep eating to keep warm as in the winter . You might find this time of the year they tend to move a lot later on in the day and if nice simply lay down after they have eaten to chew the cud . As you said they seem to be every where as you are driving home this may explain it . Good luck in the future . MUDDY

l am having much the same problem this year, typicly at the start of the season all l was seeing was bucks and passed up many chances, sods law as l was hoping to get the bulk of the cull done early so l could do some fishing this year.

One problem l have on my local ground is they grow a lot of rape and guess where the deer are, dont blame them realy its got everything they need still look on the bright side they will be slashing it within a month.

As I said to Mr B, this time of year is not the best for Bucks. I thinks its a combination of various issues. Feed for one is plentiful and cover, so they stay at home and dont need to wander around. Plus the doe's have just calved and show no interest, only to their new off spring.

I find the best times for Bucks is April through to about mid May, followed by a quiet spot as of now. Then the rut is another prime time to catch them out late July into August, in fact most of August. Then they seem to go quiet again in my experience. But if you are lucky you sometimes get a false rut in September, and they cah get very active for a short period.

Having said all this, as I have mentioned before in another thread, Roe are to me the most unpredictable of deer. But this is my opinion, and following from my experience.

Likewise haven't seen many bucks out and about - but we have had a very cold east wind and I think that they are all staying in the woods where it is warmer.

I somewhat confirmed this on Friday evening when was looking in belt of wide hedge / scrubby woodland - thirty yards wide with small stream and grassy glades down the middle and lots of sign of deer in the middle - tracks, hoof marks and dung so they are definately around. Also walked down the side of a rape field and it too has lots of deer runs.

But I must admit earlier in the year I did n't see or hear nearly as much activity as last year. Last year at last light there were always bucks and does barking at each other from the woods. This year they just seemd much more subdued and think it is the cold weather.

Heym SR20

Snapped this 9-10 incher [?] from the Queens Highway a few nights ago.

Corrr! What a beast! I wish I had a few like him on my patch.

Longish but narrow with poor tines.
    See how the blighter is standing behind the tree, self preservation !