Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 ammo Choices

308 ammo Choices

Hi Everyone

I am going to be shooting Fallow, Roe and Muntjac and was wanting some advice on what ammo to buy to shoot these 3 species. I plan to reload later but to start with will buy of the shelf and wanted some recommendations please.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    You'll not go wrong with 150gr Softpoint ammo, good all rounder, reduced meat damage compaired to hard and fast, this is hard and hard, I used to use Federal Powershok 150gr and shot all the above with success.

Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I agree with TJ. Two points to also consider, what ammunition does your rifle like and what ammunition is easy for you to get your hands on? As per TJ I have used the Federal Power-Shok with success on reds (and have a part used box sitting in my gun cupboard). I would buy a box of each type that you can easily get, try them out and go with the one that goes best regardless of cost.

Rgds JCS

hi steve
    i use Sierra 150gr spitzer #No 2130 with a load of 45gr of H4895 .I have a Sako 85 and i load the rounds to a C.O.A.L OF 2.290 of an inch or 15 thou of the lan .but if you are not into reloading at this time the winchester supeme elite xp are a good starting point, but if you wish to reload the brass is no up to much so try Normer or hornaday factory sp or core lock ,As the brass will last you longer. you can have a look at the web sites for info on other loads and bits there thing i would say is get good dies say redding and get the competition set as you will only be resizing the neck as the cases will be fire formed to your chamber.
    all the best
    paul o'

I use Federal Fusion, 150gn for all deer in my Sako 75, with good results.

Mines shooting well with Sako 123 Grain 129A Gameheads
    also read here
    Sako .308 Win. 123 Grain cartridges ?

Mine likes GECO 170gr round-nosed (cheap, 2550fps from 22") and
    RWS 150gr cone point (expensive, 2730fps from 22").

2" high at 100yds, we get -6" at 250 for the GECO and -4" for the RWS. At 300, -13" and -10" respectively.

Iam also on Federal Powershok 150gr soft points, and have now shot reds,sika,fallow,and roe with them. i have only had one sika hind which i shot heart lung and the front end was totally black. but thats the only one so far. i shot my first sika stag through his shoulders last week and it was as clean as a whistle when skinned.

Thanks a lot guys

Must agree with Spoony Sako 123gr game heads i have used these on all 6 species of deer, but i have also used Norma Oryx 180gr for boar and plans game in Africa, both rounds my rifle seems to like very well, but whos to say if your rifle performs well with them