brass extraction problem

finnbear270

Just isolated a little snag with some brass, I reload amongst others, the 7mm WSM, & was a little perturbed to have cases remaining in the chamber when they should be flying out the side, I had loaded some necked down 300 winmag, as the 7mm WSM was not on the shelf when I visited the dealers, some were from Winchester and some from Remington Peters, the Remmy's must have a minutely smaller base circumference, as every single one of them stays behind on drawing back the bolt on firing, this then requires the cleaning rod to be inserted to poke out the cases.

The 270 WSM and 300 WSM chamberings are different to the 7mm WSM in that the case necks are .033" (or thereabouts) longer.

When you say youve necked down some 300 Win MAg brass - I assume,,,,you mean 300WSM - not 300 Winnie...?

If you are using 300 WSM brass in the 7mm WSM one also hopes you are trimming the case necks down to suit the shorter 7 WSM chamber - otherwise dangerous pressures will be developed in the chamber.

Now those points are oout the way, what rifle is it?

I recently had a Sauer 200 in that wasnt extracting - replacement parts for a bolt overhaul were obtained (from Sauer) and new items fitted - problem still remained.

Afetr testing numerous brands of brass (in this case it was a 30-06) I found that Fed, RP, Win etc were slightly undersize on the head diameter (.463" in some cases as opposed to .473" standard)

However, Lapua which extracted every time - was .470" diameter.

Moral of the tale - use decent brass if you have an extractor which isnt of the "hook" type

You really would expect something produced by a "world class" company to be of at least decent construction?....... wouldn't you?:D, & yes I did use necked down winmag, just the short ones!:lol:. Also nothing goes through the reload process here, without passing every required stage, & I have also had the fabled Lapua fall short of the requisite standards too, but that is another story!:cool:. .........Right now I would put my money on Nosler brass.

Finally got hold of a very nice Moore + Brock micrometer in Imperial, put the brass through the caliper, & found the rejected Remington Peters brass has a deficient base o/d, of 0.528, while both the Winchester necked down .300 WSM & the Winchester 7mm WSM make an o/d of 0.533. remmy's now in the "not required" "struck off charge" bin.

Back