Red Filters

monty

Hi folks, do any of you that regularly go lamping use a red filter. I tried one years ago, but didn't notice an increase in foxes shot. However lately have been seeing a few very lamp shy foxes and wondered if it was worth purchasing a filter.

Thanks in advance

Most definitely YES!!
Most animals see in 'monochrome' ie. 'Black and white' which means that they generally see better in low light conditions. Red light is right on the end of their visible spectrum and they find it harder to see than white light. A red filter will reduce the beam range of your light but will increase your chances of success generally as they seem less 'spooked' by red light.
MS:)

We use red, for general use, as in the above post red is not as visible to the target, just been using green for the last few nights & fox seem to be totally unaware of the beam.......... just awkward to use for us as definition is very poor, seems to be in conflict with the more knowledgeable types in the optical brigade saying that green is the most uable light for humans.

Hi Monty

A lot of good advice from above, and I only tell you from a practical point went lamping last night, I have modified my land rover with a red gel to cover the head light and use a red filter on my lamp. What a difference it makes. The rabbits or foxes don't seem to know I'm there before its to late. Shot 24 rabbits in total, so well worth the investment

We swapped from a red filter to an amber one. They don't tend to mind it and the good thing also it doesn't cut down the range as much as a red one.
Give one a go and see what you think.

Doesn't seem to matter what filter we use if the fox is lamp shy they are lamp shy. We then try and catch up with them if we are out stalking

Jonathon

hi,

i used a red on tuesday and it was great, the fox just sat and watched us.
i also heard that green works well but i have not tried it to see.

f.

Take extra care with the green,some real difficulties with the background colours swallowing details.

Agree with FB on the green, I also find that the eyes dont seem to reflect back the same (on bunnies anywway, never used it for fox). I have a red, amber and green (was also thinking about getting the blue) for my Cluson Laserlite. The red defo takes the most out of the light but I can still clearly see a fox at 200 yards. My mate has the lightforce and his red filter seems to take more out which isnt ideal for long ranges. Ive also just invested in a dimmer to reduce the light at closer ranges, I fing that the amber filter doesnt take much out of the light so can be too bright for soem foxes within the 150 yards range.

Thanks Gents, great thing about this site, ask and someone will give you advice. Much appreciated, filter has been ordered from optic warehouse, must admit paying £20 for a piece of red plastic bought a tear to my eye.

Thanks Gents, great thing about this site, ask and someone will give you advice. Much appreciated, filter has been ordered from optic warehouse, must admit paying £20 for a piece of red plastic bought a tear to my eye.

What lamp do you have? If its a Cluson drop me a note, there is a good site that sells stuff cheaper.

Cheers for the offer Stevie, the light is a lightforce blitz, the filter is now fitted and getting it's first run out tonight. so will see if it makes a big difference.
cheers again everyone

we use amber, green and white ( i have red but dont use it very often, unless rabbiting with rimfire). just swap them around a bit, couldnt say one is better (more sucessful) than the other. when lamping solo i use a roofmount with a 50w bulb, horizontal filament, lights the sides of the way a bit more than a 100w vertical filament, i find i hit less fences etc. i think lamp colour is less important than technique (not going to give away all the secrets) eg. beam placement, stopping/starting, changing direction - if you dont react to quickly and change speed or direction quite often you can get a shot before they realise whats going on. i like the lampshy ones that move off and always look back when they think they're out of range (theyre not - :p)

Well out last night, 2 foxes one of them was one I had been after for a while just laid there at 150 yds, 75 vmax made quite a mess fo his head. 2nd was about 230 yards, couldnt make enough detail with the red filter, other than see it was a fox, but it gave me enough time to to get ready filter removed, "bang" befofre he knew what had happened job done.

Good afternoon monty, i swear by an amba filter, i find it spot on, foxes don't seem bothered by it and i've been getting good results since i've got it. It's a easier spoting with this than the red one as well,:)

i do a lot of urban fox shooting i used to use a red filter but found foxes looking striaght at me and taking off .i switched to a green filter and it works a treat they dont even turn when i switch it on. and it comes out like night vision with there eyes showing clearly excellent logun lamp. in the feild i use red to pick them up then white light them for the shot . horses for courses and all that .noel

Looks like I need to source a green filter for my lightforce 170. What's the cheapest on-line place?

Andy

i wouldnt count on all green filters being the same. as made by different companys and the colour may differ to the one i use which is the logun lamp for short range and i cant fault it in any way .noel

i wouldnt count on all green filters being the same. as made by different companys and the colour may differ to the one i use which is the logun lamp for short range and i cant fault it in any way .noel

I haev a green filter for my Cluson, nice clear light but did find that the eyes on bunnies dont seem to light up the same (strange I know!!). Its a bit bright so not used it for fox but now haev a dimmer unit so will be giving it a go again and will try on fox. Will let you know how it goes.

just to say i made my red filter out of some steal wire and my m8 works at a disco supply place , u can get a 3m roll of red plastic for about £3 , works a dream . plus they have every color u can think of.

Back