1 shallots, finely chopped
60g butter
1 rasher of bacon, chopped
½ bottle red wine
3tbs redcurrant jelly
400ml game/venison stock
300ml port
salt

8. For the sauce, soften the leek, shallots and bacon in 30g of the butter. Next add the wine and redcurrant jelly. Reduce this to a syrup and add the stock, reducing by half again.
9. Finally, add the port before reducing it for the last time and, once it has reached a good consistency, finish it with the remaining butter. Season it to your taste and then strain it through a sieve.

this is a rosemary shrager recipe that she had to accompany a venison wellington. I make it in treble quantity and reduce to a thick syrup. I then freeze in ice cubes and defrost and dilute as necessary, if im making a casserole or a pie i will stick a cube or two in. pukka.

to make the stock i just roast the haunch bones and some neck with some stock veg and then cover with water and boil till you get a decent stock.

Nice sauce recipe, can't beat the classic red wine and redcurrant to go with venison. The only addition I might make would be a few juniper berries crushed into the initial mix and boiled for a few minutes, before straining and reducing. Juniper is so good with venison!

Also, using neck for the stock? I'm afraid here neck is the favourite chunk to bung in a casserole and slow cook for eight to ten hours to make the most fantastic stew!

Back