Do they really smell that bad

centralbeltstalker

Hi,

out to day and i shot a young stag.
i had watched him chasing a hind yesterday and he returned to the same spot this morning looking for her.
i have always heard that they smell really bad during the rut.
imho he was not nearly as bad as i was expecting and if honest it was not that bad at all.
i did ask a fellow sd member what he thought of the smell when he came round to see him and he smelt strong urine but not that bad.
is this only because 1, he is a minor 2, its a bit early for full rut and the smells not fully developed.

so far i am not put off by that smell as i have smelt worse.

atb f.

pictures to follow

possibly as others have found. I have in the Rut smelt BOTH Red Stag's and Fallowbuck's on the way into the stalk :eek: if successful my hands cloth's etc STINK my other half straight away on returning say's "i take it you shot a Rutting Stag/Buck :rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing the pics. What did he weigh? How old do you think he was?

ATB

(slightly off subject i know but i only have roe on my patch so cant comment)

hi mate,

put him up in articles and write ups, i did believe him to be about two/three years but had some advice that he may be older than i thought.
tomorrow i will post his jaw so i am open to guess's on his actual age.

f.

Bearing in mind the rut has been over for some time the red pricket i shot this afternoon stunk to high heaven.
As i write this now i can smell the odour coming of my hands, i have tried everything in my armoury to rid my hands of the smell but for the first time i have failed.
I used to work for BT and they supplied some fantastic hand cleanser, but even that didn't work this time.
I give in, banished to the spare bedroom once again!
Cheers
Richard

last year i shot a big stag 3 weeks after the rut and he STUNK to high heaven !

took a month to get the stench from the van !

cheers lee

Throw 4 stags in the back of a hard top land rover 90 and go for an hour drive to the Game dealer! With the heaters on

rether you than me !:lol:

thats why ive got a king cab ford ranger , ive leant from the astra van days !

i loved my astra van could get 4 good sized lowland hinds and a calf int he back :D

I mainly stalk Roe, so this is not an issue, but i was amased during my second Red stalk that the animals could be smelt so strongly on ther wind as we approached them . The herd had a really strong smell that you could probably track by nose.

The stag i shot was not particularly smelly, it was right at the beginning of the rutt, and i persume as the rutt progresses they will smell stronger?

Back