Which mid range binoculars?

kelvo73

Looking to spend up to £400 on some binoculars, should I buy new or look secondhand? I just starting recreational stalking and what with the price of a gun and expected amount of outings, I just can't justify top end. Any advice to an enthusiastic amateur would be welcome.

Kelvo

IMHO if you are stalking red during the hours of daylight out on the hill I would not get too hung up on not being able to afford a new pair of top end bino's. The difference in quality does become apparent however in the last or first few minutes of daylight.

I have owned the same pair of 7x42SLC's for almost 15 years now and considered changing them recently for newer ones, from one of the top end manufacturers. Then I thought what is the point? Partly based on the ability of my scope which will stop performing before the bino's do. It is a Swarovski 6-24x50.

I would think that £400 would get you a pretty good pair of secondhand top end bino's. MY mate uses 8x32 Swarovski's and I honestly struggle to see the advantage of mine over his. You would certainly pick up a pair of them for that price secondhand.

Minox allways have a strong following, I believe there are some bargains to be had on the web! If you do a search you will find the Minox on many threads on this site, all positive!

I bought Swaro 8x30's, tank commander jobbies, about 15years ago, they are still going strong.

ft

As above, a good second hand pair, but a good new pair would be the Minox range, 8.5x42's, I had a pair while my Swarovski were broken, if I had bought them first, I would not have the Swarovski's....

TJ

jamross,

Thanks for taking the time to answer what probably seems like tiresome question. I feel a bit better now as it seems that i could get a very serviceable pair of binoculars for this money. The most interesting part of your answer is the 8x32s, as for some reason I have fixated on 7x42 or 8x42, but if the difference is minimal, then it's a pair of used top make or a mid range make for the 7or8x42. Mmmm you really got me thinking now:confused:

jamross,

Thanks for taking the time to answer what probably seems like tiresome question. I feel a bit better now as it seems that i could get a very serviceable pair of binoculars for this money. The most interesting part of your answer is the 8x32s, as for some reason I have fixated on 7x42 or 8x42, but if the difference is minimal, then it's a pair of used top make or a mid range make for the 7or8x42. Mmmm you really got me thinking now:confused:

Kelvo

Some may disagree but I have based this opinion on years of stalking Sika, when just as you stand up to leave when its all but dark one of them will pop out of the shadows! Watching deer at these times of very low light I would have been as happy with the 8x32's, as already mentioned its the limits of the scope that is the deciding factor in ultimately getting a shot. Another noteworthy advantage is the lighter weight and they fit easily in the pocket which is nicer when dragging beasts.

Kelvo
Are you in a hurry? The reason I ask is, if not, try to wait a little until the nights draw in, and then visit your preferred shop at the end of the day. That way you will be able to decide the difference between the pairs that interest you, and it is a better position to be in than trying to do the same thing at a game fair, for example, where the light is good and even a shoddy pair looks ok.
Of course, this is only relevant if, as posted above, your hunting dictates that low light levels make a difference.
I too am on a quest to find the pair for me, and have written a post about it which is on here somewhere, I'm too stupid to know how to post a link to it, but you may find it under a search on my name. As an aside, I have tried many of the pairs that I have been recommended on this forum, and generally they have been excellent - stalkers are a discerning bunch obviously! Not all of them have suited my face shape though, which I class as an important factor. Don't disregard the birding names either, some are good, but unheard of in hunting circles.
Good luck, and let us know what you end up with. Just don't forget the golden rule (mine at least!) of try before you buy.

I would go good pair of second hand for £400 you will get a good pair of zeiss, leica or swarovski from the bay if you keep looking and keep an eye of for a pair of Zeiss Dialyt they are real good quality. my brother has a pair and they are in my opinion superior to my parents Swarovski SLCs and ELs that cost considerably more.

George

I've just got my mits on a mint pair of IOR 7X40's for not much over £100 via fleabay. They seem very good value, the only downside is they are rather "retro" looking compared to modern designs. The upside is they look like you could drive over them without doing any damage!
Going to compare them to my other pair when it starts getting dark later.

They are the same as these
http://www.border-barrels.co.uk/ior-7x40-binoculars-64-p.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Loads of stuff to think over, i'm scouring flea bay as we speak. Some good advice thanks, i'm deffo better educated now and have increased my options:)

kelvo i had the pleasure of using a pair of minox in scotland a few weeks ago terrible weather and the thing that struck me was they have a coating on the lens that actually enhances the light and they are much brighter than most bins these where the hg,s i am still amazed at the clarity of these and i have also tried the swaros but honestly for the difference in price i cannot see a notable difference ,wayne

MINOX minox MINOX minox MINOX minox 8.5x43HG for that money you could get a new pair or for the £200 mark get a 2nd hand pair ...regards....neil

Another vote for Minox, use the search facility to look for the old posts on this subject, it has been done to death and Minox is the answer from most users time and time again.;)

ATB

Tahr

Back