Overview of the Reloading Process - From Spent Case to Loaded Round

Just stumbled upon this, fantastic, thanks! Just about to get my first 243 and am astounded at the cost of rounds. Something I was thinking about was re-loading, but just seeing the amount of kit and faff required has probably had the opposite effect and put me off. I just now hope whatever gun I buy likes PPU ammo!

Out of interest, what is the cost of the reloading kit required? Apologies if that is answered in the replies, I did not read all 6 pages.

Excellant!! It brought back a lot of memories of my late teenage years when I reloaded my own 30.06 ammunition, as well. I was using 48 grains of H4895 power, and weight and measured each and every round. That rifle shot better than me. ;)

One question; does the UK require any certificates to reload your own ammunition? If so where do I find the course for this?

I know, in Germany, I need a certificate to purchase the required material to do so.

A nice concise write up on reloading, better than most videos hosted on youtube. This is the information that will give a complete beginner the confidence to home load.

Alex

As All above have said above excellent step by step view. Thank you

It looks like I am having to down this route as nobody makes factory .243 FMJ ammo.

Eddie

Alex

As All above have said above excellent step by step view. Thank you

It looks like I am having to down this route as nobody makes factory .243 FMJ ammo.

Eddie

That is exactly the reason I first started! No fmj .243.

Thanks, I found it useful thread for someone like me to see what would be involved. Such a lot of expensive kit though.

Thanks for taking the time to make such a thoughtful and informative post. Am just about to start reloading and this is a great introduction to the process.
Much appreciated.

Well done Alex, great to see such attention to detail showing the process. Apart from the accuracy of home loads, it's both fun and interesting too. Again, thanks for posting.

Hi, very useful, I have a question when it comes to the case capacity of H2O does this vary from with different case manufacturers? I have a 6.5 x 55 which as far as I can see has a case capacity of 57 grains.
Thanks

Thank you so much, this is an awesome article, just what I was looking for. Is there any chance of resurrecting the photos?

Hi,
At #64, the question was asked about certificates. Unfortunately no answers. Can I just go to a RFD with my FAC and buy gun powder? Is there a limit on quantity held etc. as per FAC/ammunition. I know bullets don't count as ammunition, until they are made up, but what about the primers and powder?

Andy 63,
Legally, you do not require any sort of training or certificate to reload.
Training with an experienced reloader would be most advisable !!!
Many RFDs will need to see your FAC to buy powder and primers - but purchases of primers and powder that you make are not recorded on your FAC (and neither, I believe, by the RFD)
If you only have chamberings on your FAC that use, for example, large rifle primers, then an extremely nit picking RFD might not sell you small rifle primers and vice versa
There may be a limit on the quantity of powder you can hold (10Kg???), but as far as I'm aware, not on primers

Cheers

Bruce

This is such a good post but sadly photobucket has stopped the photos being posted. Any chance that Site Admin are able to embed them (if that's the right term)?

All best,

Z.

Back